Murdered woman left 5-pg letter disassociating herself. Husband on Trial

by AndersonsInfo 26 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

St Thomas Times-Journal

http://www.stthomastimesjournal.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1588079

Decision is final: slain wife

Posted By KYLE REA, Times-Journal
    Eugena Smith expected "wagging tongues to flutter with delight" after they read the letter she wrote saying she was leaving the Jehovah's Witness church.

That comes from a five-page draft of the missive, read aloud to a trial jury on Wednesday and addressed to the Watchtower Bible Society of Jehovah's Witnesses. It was found by investigators lying among a pile of clothing on the floor of Eugena Smith's bedroom, shortly after the 33-year-old St. Thomas woman was found murdered in her 9 Balaclava St. home in June, 2007.

Her estranged husband Michael Smith, 37, is on trial for first-degree murder in the city's Superior Court of Justice.

The couple's daughter, who was three-and-a-half years old in June, 2007, wasn't home at the time.

Justice Peter Hockin is hearing the case, which is expected to last five weeks.

The Crown argued in an opening statement Tuesday that Eugena Smith was trying to leave both her husband, and her church, just days before she died on June 7, 2007. Michael Smith, the Crown says, thought she was having an affair.

Among a mountain of evidence presented in court on Wednesday, Eugena's draft letter stated "I no longer wish to associate myself with the (Watchtower) organization" and urged people not to persuade her to come back.

"My decision is final."

Wednesday also saw testimony from Const. Terri Hikele and Const. Marc Vaughan, two St. Thomas identification officers who investigated, photographed and video-taped both Eugena Smith's home and Michael Smith's Talbot Street apartment. The court heard cellphones, computers, medication and clothing were seized by police.

Some objects, such as a black woman's shirt cut from neck to waist, a pair of thong underwear, stained bed sheets and wads of toilet paper with a red substance on it, all found in Eugena Smith's bedroom, were sent to the Centre of Forensic Sciences in Toronto for testing.

Swabs taken from Michael Smith's penis and a sexual assault test kit with samples taken at Eugena Smith's autopsy were also sent away to be tested, the court heard.

Photos, video and items seized from Michael Smith's apartment were also presented to the jury. One of those items included a letter from Michael Smith's father, Joseph, addressed, "To my son."

Read aloud for the jury by Vaughan, the letter asks forgiveness for a "previous outburst," and talks about a heated argument involving Eugena Smith and her inlaws. In the letter Joseph Smith worries he won't get a chance to see his granddaughter again.

"Don't make (her) pay for a few words."

The trial continues today.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

That is one wild news article.

• BurnTheShips
  • snowbird
    snowbird

I found this on a message board about the homicide.

This is a close to home story, I knew this woman we were just starting a friendship and this news saddens me deeply.

On a personal note I can add to this story. She was planning a nice birthday party for her daughters 4th birthday in July. She was also in the process of trying to leave her families religion around the same time as leaving her husband, she was really starting a new life. The religion she was in did not celebrate birthdays so it was a very special event for her. She will be greatly missed!

Sylvia

• yknot
    yknot

So very very very sad....

His actions show no concern for their daughter!

When is murder/suicide ever the answer in a free society?

Sad Sad Sad.....

• ziddina
    ziddina

"When is murder/suicide ever the answer in a free society?"

WTBTS isn't a 'free' society... Hard to tell whether this is totally "domestic violence" or whether the cult thinking had something to do with it...

Further info forthcoming as a result of the trial should be informative... Zid

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I wonder if she ever posted here.

• carla
    carla

Sad, I wonder what will happen to the child now? back to jw relatives?

Link doesn't work and story does not come up on St Thomas Times Journal either.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Hey Carla. I tried the link too, and it's the strangest thing, it worked fine this morning when I was sent the link through email. Now I get an error when I click the same link I previously did. I wonder if the newspaper removed the article? Anybody know how things like this happen?

• ziddina
    ziddina

This link may work: http://www.stthomastimesjournal.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1586180

Here's a different news agency's report... http://boards.library.trutv.com/showthread.php?t=282134

And I think this is a version of your first post there: http://www.stthomastimesjournal.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1588079

Hope these links work...

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit