"Commenting" at Meetings

by cameo-d 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Why do you suppose they use this sort of format?

Methods of answering are strictly regulated (no embellishment) and the re-reading is like some kind of remedial meeting.

And to make such a big deal out of reading one sentence, like you're getting an academy award or something.

It just baffles me.

I really wonder if they have psychologists employed in guiding their methodology and what this is actually supposed to achieve.

Does it go hand in hand with fluoride in the water, or what?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

What Borat said.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

This is a form of Brainwashing.....getting people to repeat these statements as there own!

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

i left in late 91, god i remember those awful hour long public talks, then an hours watchtower......brain dead. i always remember the joy of leaving not having to go to meetings anymore, getting up on a sunday morning lazing around in my pjs watching mindless tv.all i really remember about commenting was people having a go at others in the congregation (for example one "bro" commented on how people shouldnt go to the cinema to watch ungodly films like beverly hills cops) many times i could hardly keep my eyes open and that includes when i was reading the bloody watchtower from the platform!!!.

• BloominMarvellous
    BloominMarvellous

Completely agree with Virgochik, although not an elders daughters (my parents hate the truth and have never ever been part of it) I was made to answer with the exact jab in the ribs and the glare from my study conductor, if I didnt answer she would say 'Well thats between you and Jehovah' making me feel as though I had commited a sin and was to be punished!

Current;y being shunned by my ex-study conductor so no more bruised ribs!!!!

• yknot
    yknot

Repetition is a highly effective teaching method......

I would like to 'comment' that many R&F hate the blantant grade-school repetition of paragraph, and still try to sneak in some CD-research tidbit to make them sound 'smart'.

• blondie
    blondie

Most jws don't even read the material before they get to the meetings. I have seen some even underlining or highlighting during the meeting. I have seen these kinds:

1) the young jw answer one-word answer: Jehovah or Jesus

2) the young jw only comment on the pictures in the article

3) the young jw reading exactly from the paragraph, words they don't know the meaning of

4) the adult jw reading exactly from the paragraph

5) the adult jw rearranging the words a little bit in the paragraph

before the more rigid directives to conductors from recent times

6) reading cited scriptures and making application (still possible in today's KH)

7) adding to the material with a personal experience (keep it brief not a monologue that some ancient jws give)

In the olden days, my relatives tell of when only 5 paragraphs would be discussed on a Sunday because of the off paragraph discussions.

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, jws learn to use the vocabulary as the WTS directs, its called the pure language. The WTS says you can filter out inactive or df'd/da'd jws by the fact they haven't kept up with the new words.

In the 70's the WTS called book study locations, rendexvous. That lasted about 6 months.

A jw who left before 1970 would have called the elders "servants"

• compound complex
  • aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I HATED answering!

It was so insulting to our intelligence to read that crap back word for word. Especially when that silly paragragh had just been read aloud. And then you have to wait for the microphone to be handed to you so that positively everyone in the hall can here you parrot what is right in front of their own face.

In the past I would only comment when I had something new to add, but in the 1980's thay started insisting that we stick to the paragragh and don't add anything else. That's when I stopped answering. My bookstudy conducter would encourage me to answer, saying that my imput benefitted the others, but how is that possibly? If I deviated from what was written he would just cut me off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit