Gaming Addiction

by desib77 20 Replies latest jw friends

• diffedexjw
    diffedexjw

Take everything in MODERATION, even WOW and/or religion, and definatly booze. hehehe

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I used to play Diablo 2 back in the day, but I wouldn't say it was an ongoing or harmful addiction, more of a pasttime between me and my roomate at the time. I can defintely appreciate the addictive aspect to MMORPGs, though. While every once in a while I get interested in some new game that comes out, I am rarely drawn to play them at any length.

As far as your husband's addiction goes, I would just try to get him to focus on more fulfilling things in life. I don't know if you're into many outdoor activities, but that's pretty much the antithesis of gaming. Also, friendship is a big factor. Many people (not all) are into MMORPGs because they are lonely. Does he have any good friends? Do you guys go out together and hang out with other friends?

• John Doe
    John Doe

I played WOW for a few months. I haven't played, however, in two months. The attraction wore off and I just quit. I can't imagine being "addicted" to a game.

• R.F.
    R.F.

While I do enjoy playing video games, i've never really had an addiction to them. Playing Xbox 360 sure helps pass some extra time though.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I know WoW is highly addictive so I don't start. Besides, I never got into RPG

But I was addicted to a few FPS games a few years ago, such as Medal of Honor, Ghost Recon (the first one) and Battlefield 2. Despite all the expansion packs, killer mods and various clans, the allure eventually wore off and I stopped playing online.

If you need to quit or know someone that does, get rid of the game from your PC or stop your account for a month or two. You'll rediscover the real world,....

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I wonder if people look at watching that many hours of television as an addiction?

I don't think you can simply look at the amount of time spent to determine if an activity is an addiction. It's how the activity interferes with your life/relationships or the feeling that you have to do it.

• desib77
    desib77

Drwtsn,

I think that is exactly right. When something is so consuming that it causes problems in your family life or personal life then it is an addiction, even if it were tv.

I wish it were just as simple as getting rid of the computer or stopping the service. It is much more complicated than that.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Have you tried talking to him about it? If so how did he respond? I imagine that if it truly is an addiction, he may get upset at you even bringing it up.

• desib77
    desib77

In the past he has gotten upset and then within a week or so thought about it and cancelled his character, etc. The problem is that he always returns and when he is all caught up in the excitement of the game he doesn't think it is a problem. I guess that is how addictions work.... denile first.

• desib77
    desib77

As far as your husband's addiction goes, I would just try to get him to focus on more fulfilling things in life. I don't know if you're into many outdoor activities, but that's pretty much the antithesis of gaming. Also, friendship is a big factor. Many people (not all) are into MMORPGs because they are lonely. Does he have any good friends? Do you guys go out together and hang out with other friends?

We used to but he seems to prefer the gaming environment to spending time with other "real" people. Less effort, I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit