Is KH really a place of "Public Worship"?

by cameo-d 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Have you ever known anyone to just walk in off the street?

To me, KH's don't seem too obvious.

The one's I have seen are not too obvious. They all seem to be tucked away in residential neighborhoods and some have very discreet signs.

None I have ever seen advertise their times of worship services. (but maybe that's just the few I have seen. Is this common?)

As I understood it, it would be "associating with the churches of Babylon" to have their names listed in community church directories.

Is KH really "public friendly" and a place where people often just drop in for Sunday service?

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

In the U.S. the KHs post their meeting times on the outside of the building. In my community the meetings are listed on the church page every Friday and there is a phone number listed in the phone book under the heading of churches. I think years ago this would not have been the case, as the wts would not want to be lumped together with churches. I think it is now a matter of expediency to be listed these days. More new light I guess.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Well they don't have services....they have meetings.....

What gets me is they talk about worshipping Jehovah....what do they do that even comes close to worship?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I am not concerned with the "esoterics" of it.

I am looking at legal implications.

Maybe that's why they changed and "compromised their standards"

• blondie
    blondie

For one, the jws don't have control over the size and design of their signs, the local secular entity does and it varies from place to place.

They don't advertise under Church Services in the newspaper but are listed under churches in the hard copy phone books and on line.

I would consider prayer and song part of worship and they do that.

You might define what you consider worship.

My husband and I travel on the road and see at least 2 if not 3 KHs as we go. Many churches tend to be tucked away into community side roads rather than on the main thoroughfares. Once again the times are listed on the building and many newspapers have weekly listings for religious doings and I have seen them listed when I Google.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/1035/42/377244.htm

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    I am looking at legal implications.
    Maybe that's why they changed and "compromised their standards"

Great point......I really have trouble seeing how the WTS keeps it's standing as tax exempt......from what I can tell they do NOTHING for the community at large......at least by taking these steps they sort of / kind of look like a church.

I notice when I travel for work that sometimes the JWs have their phone number listed in the places of worship section of the hotel information book....

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

How often do people to walk in off the street to attend KH (uninvited by a JW member)?

One thing that stuck me when I visited a KH is that the speaker called on people by name.

It gave the impression that anyone unknown was not really "included" nor invited to participate.

It seems pretty much like KH is a "by invitation" kind of place, just like a club might sponsor a guest to attend w/member.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

It couldn't be....the public would have no idea what they are speaking about...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

cameo

One thing that stuck me when I visited a KH is that the speaker called on people by name.

It gave the impression that anyone unknown was not really "included" nor invited to participate.

It seems pretty much like KH is a "by invitation" kind of place, just like a club might sponsor a guest to attend w/member.

Interesting comment and one that the WTS and cults in general use to create an inclusionary and exclusionary world. If a person is studying and begins to go to meetings they discover there is an "in crowd" pretty quickly. Signing up gets you into the "in crowd" Love-bombing makes you want to be part of the "in crowd".

Strangers who walk in off the street are not what the WTS wants. You must be indoctrinated into the club. So while walk-ins might get a bit of love-bombing the goal will always be to force them through the indoctrination process

• blondie
    blondie

My husband and I have visited several KHs where we were not known. On some occasions we visited and got to know a couple of elders before the meeting but not always.

I would raise my hand and the conductor would call on me (the sister over there) directing the mike carrier and I would just say my name and give my answer. The only time I can imagine they would not call on you is if your dress and grooming were very extreme. But then I was already a jw. non-jws that drop in are not likely to comment but if they did I would expect they would be called on (maybe not a second time depending on their answer).

Growing up a jw, we had several people every month drop in, once a small group of curious Bahais. We had a downtown congregation with a lot of foot traffic outside. The KHs that are mostly reachable by car don't get as much drop ins.

A few congregations were not very friendly to us, totally ignoring us. I think that was a function of the behaviors of that congregation. Actually once they find out you are already a jw, they ignore you as well.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit