Study: Animals can tell right from wrong

by Elsewhere 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Johnny

Your dog is probably atheist. You need to tell him about god, and how he hates those who disrespect the property of others. That'll scare him straight.

S

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I don't entirely agree with the article. It just isn't conclusive enough.

Animals can learn right from wrong - and yes, maybe included in that is a sense of morals, maybe the question is whose morals?

I'm thinking here of our friends the bonobos which will mate freely with each other - not only adulterouslyand homosexually, which some humans might not see a problem with - but also incestuously - which I suspect the majority of humans find grossly immoral. So is the moral line drawn elsewhere for certain animals/species?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sad emo

The incestors are prolly artheists. Once they learn about how god views incest, they will refrain. On the other hand, incest was ok w god in some parts of the ot. Even king david was in love w another guy. Oh, the shifting sands...

S

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

beks

The point DD is that it doesn't take "god" for we human animals to be "moral".

Well, I think the point is that, it's one thing to say that behavior is genetically programmed, its an entirely different thing to call it "moral" or to know if it's "right" or "wrong".

I guess you could say behavior has "evolved". But, how do you know if it's "moral"?

• Robdar
  • Robdar
    Robdar

Thanks for posting, Else. Studies like these are helping to confirm what I already know.

• John Doe
    John Doe

We all evolved from the same material. Is it any wonder that social creatures that are not human have a code of morality? Society can not funciton without one, however simple it may be.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

I had a very interesting find the other day, about sexuality in the animal kingdom- turns out they are freaker in the sack then us LOL

But it make some very valid points- most domestic and wild animals are actually bi-sexual in nature, and it's not always just to pro-create- most of the time it's recreational.

Maybe they are more tolerant of diveristy in there "animal" societies than us humdumbeings are???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit