WTS, Faithful Slave or Evil Slave?

by mindmelda 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

What I can't believe they ignore is that Jesus said no one would know the day or the hour, and yet, they have constantly tried to put a date to it.

How blatantly ignoring of Christ's words can you be?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Quite evil, quite corrupt they exploited peoples fears and ignorances and turned them into mind controlled slaves, at the same time

made a whole lot of money doing it by creating a world wide publishing Empire/Kingdom...........now is that a nice Christian thing to do ?

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

correction - the thorough analysis of the parable of 'the faithful and discreet slave' that Ray Franz does is in In Search of Christian Freedom.

I can't seem to find my copy of Crises of Conscience at the moment to check, so there may well be something on the parable there too.

On page 165 of In Search of Christian Freedom Ray says

"One particularly damaging feature of heavy emphasis on a "class" is its influencing people to think in terms of fulfilling what is taught in the parable through group membership, rather then being concerned to demonstrate personally the particular Christian qualities set out therein, including faith, discretion, a sense of individual responsibility, watchfulness or any of the other qualities that Jesus' parable frequently stress.

The organisation's presenting one view in theory, while following another policy in practice (whereby the Governing Body to all intents and purposes becomes the "steward" having charge over all Christ's earthy interests) results in the parable's purpose being perverted. Rather than its serving as an exhortation to modest, faithful service to one's Master and one's fellow servants, it is used principally as a means to demand unquestioning submission to the Governing Body's direction."

This reasoning is then used to delegate responsibility to the leadership/the FDS/Christ for acts committed against one's conscience. Ray points out that "It is the same philosophy that enables men to commit acts that are contrary to what is true or right, and perhaps contrary to their conscience, and then seek to excuse themselves of responsibility by saying that their political or military or commercial leaders told them to do so. The Scriptures are clear that when we stand before the judgment seat of God and Christ we stand as individuals and as individuals answer for what we have done." (page 166)

• Darkanyons
    Darkanyons

i find this phrase more appropriate to the JW religion i've grown up:

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
    - Steven Weinberg -

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit