If smoking is a disfellowshipping offence, why isn't masturbation?

by yadda yadda 2 60 Replies latest jw friends

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Rubadub is an appropriate name.

Yes, excessive smoking can harm your body and kill you but occasional smoking generally doesn't. What right does the Society have to declare that someone is no longer a Christian and should be shunned just for unrepentantly smoking a few cigarettes daily? Same could be said for someone who likes to unrepentantly gamble very occasionally. It's grossly punitive and going beyond the things enumerated in scripture that are deemed serious, gross sins meriting such harsh discipline.

Yet a self-confessed chronic masturbator who is hopelessly addicted to this practice doesn't so much as get a private reproof?

Smoking is not mentioned in scripture and neither is masturbation, yet the former merits the most extreme discipline while the latter is hushed over. Just because one is public and one is private is hardly grounds for condemning one while ignoring the other. The principles are the same.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

For some men playing god is fun and it very empowering and it increases their personal stature and identity of who they are,

this is mostly the reason we have so many religions established in the world today, the one we're more familiar with of course is the JWS.

• Scott77
    Scott77

"Smoking is not mentioned in scripture and neither is masturbation, yet the former merits

the most extreme discipline while the latter is hushed over." (yadda yadda 2).

" For some men playing god is fun and it very empowering and it increases their personal stature and identity of who they are..."( Homerovah the Almighty).

I agree with you guys. Those are powerful points that should not escape our attention. Personally, I have never been to a JC so its hard to imagine how it looks like. But based on what I have read on this site, its something a keen to police interogation session. Its during this session that elders , desiring for more power and control, are tempted to indulge into intimate private details of an individual. By the way, does anyone knows of instances in which a brother or sister was Disfellowshiped based on masterbation or smoking reason? Also, is this touchy issue more common to brs than srs or equally both?

Scott77

• Cali Girl
    Cali Girl

Pm???

• Cali Girl
    Cali Girl

Oh yeah, masturbation will give you hairy palms........

• asilentone
    asilentone

Justhuman14, Yes I know someone got disfellowshipped for greed. There was a very wealthy JW son that refused to help his JW parents financially, he got disfellowshipped for that.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Cali Girl,

PM i was told is private Message. You get it upper right corner on the evelope symbol. You click on that again if not open then again . The first click will produce an error message. The second will be fine. Today, I got one PM and yesterday, one too. Still got one more two days ago. I thank you all those that have sent me their PMs.

Scott77

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Nuns in the pickle patch...

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Depends on what your smoking........

• Scott77
    Scott77

Cali Girl,

Is that what you meant by the Hairly Palm? Otherwise, I am gonna be surprised because I have never seen this case hapening in the congregation unless a brother covers his palm away from the eyes of elders. Here is link to the picture.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34imwrt&s=5

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit