Could this be why book study groups in homes were stopped?

by Mickey mouse 15 Replies latest social current

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Very interesting......If this is true then I can see why the WTS may be concerned...However, in the old days they would have carried on, provoked an action , fought them in court and appealed all the way to Supreme Court to get their way, not capitulated worldwide at a hint of trouble.

This story only seems to be on World Net Daily, none other on Google News..a glimpse of their site shows ...a right wing bias, strong evangelical slant and a lot of anti Obama rhetoric..

Wikipedia said this about them....make up your own mind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldNetDaily

• The Berean
    The Berean

From my corner , there remains only one legal reason that bookstudies have been removed. The WBTS wants no responsibility for violations that occur in a private dwelling. This is another example of allowing the ground soldiers to fight the enemy and die while the Generals remotely call the shots from a place of safety.

• VM44
    VM44

Well at least The Watchtower's book study nights didn't have singing!

The Watchtower had the sense to know that any singing in residential neighborhoods would certainly annoy people!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I see this as a fluke from an over-zealous (inexperienced) code enforcement officer and the alarmist reporting of a right-wing newspaper. So no, I don't see it as connected at all with what the Society is doing. Besides, local land use laws and the will to enforce the minutia of the development code are not the same among all jurisdictions across the country.

• besty
    besty

""The First Amendment, in part, reads, 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,'" Broyles said. "And that's the key part: 'prohibiting the free exercise.' We believe this is a substantial government burden on the free exercise of religion."

He continued, "If one's home is one's castle, certainly you would the think the free exercise of religion, of all places, could occur in the home.""

Typically home study pastors don't live in castles - I suspect if this individual lived in a castle - or the San Diego equivalent (Beth-Sarim?) - he wouldn't be getting hassled by over-zealous officials :-)

This will only stick with substantial compaints from neighbours - again, not an issue if you really do live in a castle :-)

• Alfred
    Alfred

bumping this thread... i'm surprized it hasn't had more comments or views...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit