Does the Jewish cuture have it right?

by The Berean 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

"Right" about what? Or, how could any "culture" exist without somehow "having it right," i.e. fitting, working out and adapting to its reality successfully enough to survive?

If anything "Jewish culture" seems old because it has re-invented and re-defined itself many times over the centuries, and rewritten its "history" all along. There is "objectively" very little in common between ancient Israel and modern Judaism (not to mention modern Israel), but a strong sense of cultural identity is maintained because the myth of historical continuity is taken for granted (including by anti-semites unfortunately).

Half a century ago the little French learned about "our ancestors the Gauls" in schools all over the country (and colonies!). We never thought of Romans, Franks, Goths, Vikings or Arabs as "our ancestors" although they certainly had much more genetic and cultural influence than the Gauls in the historical emergence of a French "identity". On the maps the largest rivers have only one source -- even though in fact they have many...

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    I would wager that domestic violence is a good deal less frequent among jews than among other groups.

Actually Burns those sites agree that domestic violence/abuse is at least on a par with the rest of society. Unfortunately, the tighness of the family unit in Judaism makes the victims less likely to come forward and speak out. They are more likely to suffer in silence - sound familiar???

So I stand by my comment. Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. I believe that 'superiority' has more to do with how we behave as individuals than what culture we belong to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit