A poem in memory of my mom.

by SEAKEN2001 17 Replies latest jw friends

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

I've never really attempted poetry and don't really understand it completely. But I do like it and I was inspired to make this post after reading Ashitaka's fine poem in eulogy of his grandfather. I've been asked by a few who were present at my mother's funeral and wake to go ahead and post a part of my eulogy here. I guess this is a good time since Ashi's loss is felt by all of us here and it reminds me of what my family has just gone through. Here goes,

My mom (some of you here knew her as Sharon and Mulan's friend) was always on top of everything. She had a place for everything and always knew where everything was, especially in the kitchen. When we were putting away the dishes and didn't know where something went we just yelled out to mom (she was in watching TV with Dad as we slaved away in the kitchen <g>) and say "where does the cheese grater go?" She'd yell back precise instructions to guide us to the precise nook in the cabinet to hold that particular item. If we had misplaced our school books or pee-chee's she would know where she put them after cleaning up (usually on the stairs going up to our room). We'd yell out, "Mom, have you seen my pee-chee?" She'd tell us where to look. She would put Dad's books away from off the floor next to his chair even when he didn't want her to. He'd have to ask her "have you seen my books?" and she'd tell him so matter-of-fact, "they're over there on the book shelf where they belong". Ha! That's the way she was. She always knew where things were.

With that quality of her's in mind I was thinking of the lack of love shown her by her so-called brothers and even some members of her family. I was particularly hurt by weakness shown by those who knew her to be nothing but a saint. But I was moved by her steadfast resolve to continue to show love to others despite her own treatment. I wrote this in rememberance of this wonderful lady who I knew as my Mom.

"Have You Seen God's Love?"

Mom, have you seen God's love today?
    I was hoping to find it because it's especially hard today
    It was here just a while ago

Mom, where has God's love gone?
    I looked at the Kingdom Hall but they said I could not ask
    I looked at Grandma's house where I was sure to find it
    She said I could find it at the Kingdom Hall

I heard them tell of their own love
    But, it's God's love I am looking for
    I will know it when I see it

God's love is kind, never rude
    God's love takes no offense and is not resentful
    God's love does not remember our wrongs but is always ready to excuse

There is no end to it's trust and hope
    God's love endures whatever comes
    It never fails

Oh! - here it is!
    I knew I would find it with you
    You had it all the time

It was you who showed me God's love
    You were kind and generous, never rude
    You overlooked our errors and always excused us
    Full of trust and hope, you never failed

Thank you for helping me find God's love
    I knew you had it all the time.

I love you Mom
    I will see you again when I get to where you have gone
    God bless you
    God bless us all.

Sean

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Nice. Thanks. That must have been hard....it reminds me of the one my uncle read for my father's mother, about ten years ago. But, in the end, it was a good cry. After everyone was done crying we felt so much more free, because obviously a wonderful woman like my grandmother would be taken care of....I'm sure the same goes for your mother.

ashi

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Wow that still makes me cry thanks for sharing that with us Sean!!!

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• Mulan
    Mulan

Sean, thank you for posting that. I keep forgetting to ask you for it. I am going to put it on my Memorial site for Sharon.
    . http://home.earthlink.net/~herblst/sharon.htm

Sean read this at his Mom's memorial. It had a BIG impact. I was sitting behind his grandmother, Sharon's mother, and she gasped when he said the love wasn't at Grandma's house. I know it shocked her.

I just miss her so much. This month has been especially hard for me.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Thank you Sean,

That was wonderful, I am sure your mother would be proud of you for thinking of her so lovingly.

Best regards - HS

• Princess
    Princess

Thanks for sharing that Sean. I loved it when you read it at your mom's memorial, it was just perfect and so very true. I drive by your parent's place every day and it gives me the chance to think about her daily. I miss her a lot right now.

I thought you'd like to know that when Rhys tells people about his grandmas, he counts four (my mom, Steve's mom and my grandma) he always tells he had a grandma Sharon too, and he misses her.

I'm glad you are here, I miss you.
    Rachel

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Sean,

Your poem brought tears to my eyes.

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Ahh, that Rhys is cute. Give him a big hug for me, Rachel. And take one for yourself. I miss you too.

Sean

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks.

• Mrs Rocky
    Mrs Rocky

Your mom was a great lady. Your poem is a wonderful tribute. Thanks for sharing. Mrs. R

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Seaken:
    I'm truly sorry about your loss. I don't know you nor did I know your mother but I have lost a mother, father, brother, four grandparents, two of which were like parents to me, a sister-in-law that was more like a sister to me, and a mother-in-law that was like a mother to me. I've lost many friends in death as well. Your poem is beautiful and I'm happy to see that you have a hope and I pray that it will help you to heal.

One of the things that helps me to cope with a loss such as this and to maintain my faith is having known those very special people who have passed on. They were simply too wonderful to just go away forever, that would be too terrible a waste. In our memories of them we filter out the small things that may have annoyed us from time to time when they were yet with us and we see them the way God sees all of us, I believe. We see the goodness and love that they displayed and it reminds us that we should try very hard to see those that are yet with us in that same light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit