OCD help?

by coffee_black 10 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I work with a woman who has a 15 year old son who has a very serious case of OCD. After many months of seaching for help, he is now being treated by one of the foremost Psychiatrists in the country who specializes in OCD. She now has to find a Behavioral Therapist for him for the next step in his treatment, and is having difficulty getting an appointment...8 month waiting list on average. He is not getting any better.

In the meantime, she is falling apart. He cries himself to sleep every night, and has real trouble coping...and has said he doesn't want to live. Watching him go through this is killing her. Her job is stressful...but her schedule is flexible...she is having trouble coping. Her marriage is in trouble. Her husband isn't helping much with the any of this..

Has anyone here had any experience with OCD? Any advice for her? I am really worried about her.

Coffee

• snowbird
    snowbird

BTTT

Sylvia

• mouthy
    mouthy

bump

• dobbie
    dobbie

bumped

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I'm thinking that if she checcks him into a psychiatric hospital, he may get an appointment with a behavior therapist sooner rather than later. If he's considering suicide, it would be a very good idea.

• asilentone
    asilentone

maybe he needs to eat the right foods, it might make a big difference.

• blondie
    blondie

Is he on any meds; or been on meds. Some people I know find it calms down the behavior.

http://www.ocfoundation.org/ocd-medication-adults.html

I would try finding a peer support group too.

Blondie

• blondie
    blondie
    Entry #78
    Address:
    Phone:(516) 739-0662
    E-Mail:
    Open To:Individuals with OCD
    Meeting Times:
    Venue:
    Fee:
    Group Description:O.C.A.
    Additional Information:This is the main phone number for Obsessive Compulsive Anonymous services. Find additonal information on the website listed below.
    Last Updated:2009-02-17 13:52:08
    Entry #80
    Address:
    Phone:(212) 684-3264 (NAMI-NYC)
    E-Mail:
    Meeting Times:
    Venue:NAMI Office, 505 Eighth Ave., Suite 1103, NY, NY 10018
    Fee:Free
    Group Description:Mutual Help Group
    Additional Information:Interested individuals must contact group leader prior to attending group. Please leave your contact information when you call and the group leader will get back to you.
    Last Updated:2009-02-17 14:09:30
    Entry #85
    Address:
    Phone:(212) 686-6886
    E-Mail:[email protected]
    Meeting Times:Monday, 7-8:15 pm
    Venue:Center for Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy, 137 East 36th Street, Ste. 4
    Fee:$45 per group
    Group Description:Professionally Assisted Group/Behavior Therapy Group
    Additional Information:
    Last Updated:2008-12-30 10:28:18
    Entry #86
    Address:
    Phone:(212) 692-9288
    E-Mail:
    Open To:Adult with OCD
    Meeting Times:Tuesday evenings 6:30-7:30 pm
    Venue:
    Fee:
    Group Description:Professionally Assisted Group
    Additional Information:12 week support group

http://www.ocfoundation.org/quick_search_groups.html

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

What is the nature of the OCD?

• Gregor
    Gregor

I think your best bet is to follow Blondies suggestion and find a peer group. The pooled efforts of these groups is very helpful in finding information and assistance.

You did not describe the manifestations of the boys OCD but I know it can be traumatic to all in his family as well as himself.

Sad to say, as an elder we had a young couple approach us because the wife, who we all had known from a child, was almost completely debilitated by her OCD. I felt at the time we, the elders, were in over our head but I went along with the groups bottom line which was to send them home to pray to Jehovah for strength. I have to live with that.

(and some ask why we don't just "get over" our JW experience. )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit