JW friend wants to tell me about Christ's return in 1914....Advice needed!

by whyizit 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Just get her to read the passages in Matthew 24 and 25 that talk about Jesus returning in glory and power and sitting on a glorious throne and ask her why the Society believe Jesus became King in 1914 when the official current Watchtower interpretation of these Bible passages is that they are FUTURE events!

Ask her what exactly Jesus has been ruling over since 1914 as there is no physical evidence of his reign. Is he ruling over the angels only? Is he ruling over the Watchtower Society and all Jehovah's Witnesses only? Is that what Jesus rule and the Kingdom of God means?

Ask her how could Jesus could have returned in Kingdom power in 1914 yet the 1,000 year reign hasn't started yet? Wouldn't it make more sense that Jesus' return starts in the future, when the great tribulation starts?

Ask her who the ruler of this sytem of things is. When she answers "Satan the Devil", tell her that Jesus must be sharing his rulership with Satan since 1914? Does that make any sense? Since Daniel 2:44 says that God's Kingdom will crush and put to an end all other Kingdoms, ask her how on earth it is possible that the Kingdom has been reigning since 1914 but all the other kingdsoms and rulerships of the world have carried on exactly as they always have...is Jesus sharing his rulership with the earth's human rulerships?

Tell her that there are too many contradictions and question marks over the whole 1914 thing and you do not believe the "short period of time" in Revelation 12 is 96 years and counting and that you believe the bible makes a whole lot more sense when we put Jesus return, the ride of the four horseman, the "sign" of christ's Presence in the FUTURE, not as events that began to be fulfilled 96 years ago.

good luck

yadda

• carla
    carla

There are many sites which can help you with the 1914 thing also consider finding a copy of Captives of a Concept (Anatomy of an Illusion) (understanding the illusionary concept that holds jehovah's witnesses captive) by Don Cameron (google him) As a non witness myself I found this book the easiest to understand and many ex jw's also say it has compelling arguments for jw's to think about.

"Don't let her change the subject"--- no kidding!!! try to keep her on topic and good luck with that!

At some point she WILL question your motive for questioning the org & gb, it's not personal they are trained to change the conversation like that when they have no legitimate point. You may be interested to know what the wt has to say about scrutiny--- Awake! Aug 22, 1984 p 28 The Catholic Church occupies a very significant position in the world and claims to be the way of salvation for hundreds of millions people. ANY ORGANIZATION THAT ASSUMES THAT POSITION SHOULD BE WILLING TO SUBMIT TO SCRUTINY AND CRITICISM.

As you know the wt says you must associated with them to have any hope (hope not guarantee) of salvation.

Go here to see a Don Cameron http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=WTComments&view=videos&start=20 (sorry it is not clickable) check out some of V's other excellent videos too!

• jeandeau
    jeandeau

I don't know if it is best to recomend reading

1 "the gentile times reconsidered" starting with how the WTS dealt with an honest inquiry.

2 "Crisis of Conscience" The absolute honesty and humility of a caring chrisitan in the boardroom at the top of the watchtower society and how the Board of Goverors treated him and his conscientious concerns.

3 "In search of christion freedom" What it really means to be a Christian and what faith requires.

Remember, Love is patient.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

If her answer says that Nebuchadnezzar began his reign in 605 BC then she is correct, but the calculation she uses for Christ's return in 1914 will be 20 years out and will now be 1934.

Sorry for stupid question - Why is that true?

Albert

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Find any WT publication that calculates 1914. WT April 1, 1984 will do.

They calculate it as 607 BC + 2520 years = 1914 (allowing for a year zero).

607 BC is calculated by subtracting 18 years from the beginning of Neb's reign, (which they say is 625 BC), as that should give the fall of Jerusalem.

But if Neb's reign began in 605 then, 605 BC-18=587 BC

The calculation becomes; 587 BC + 2520 years = 1934 (allowing for a year zero).

Cheers

Chris

• Black Sheep
  • Lillith26
    Lillith26

Whyizit- What do you believe? To quote the JW's "stand firm!" - state to your 'friend' what you believe and say- I respect your opinion, I have concidered it, but I simply do not agree, if you were a true friend, you would stop pushing the issue and respect my right to have a different opinion.

Mouthy- LOLOLOL Love it- "if hes back why mourn him?" - i never looked at it that before, thankyou

Blacksheep- I recognize that same graph to caculte the 1914 crap from the book called "what does the bible really teach?"- that was used to try to convert me- I bought the lies then, took two more books for me to start asking real questions!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit