Sunday's WT study

by M.J. 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• M.J.
    M.J.

Hi, just popped in to scan the board for some kind of review of this past Sunday's WT study. I couldn't seem to find anything.

I'm assuming no one is doing a "WT Comments" type of thread any more, but I missed it can someone point it out? Thanks.

I found a couple of interesting statements made and wanted to brush up on the implications (it's been a while so I need a refresher). For one, it mentioned something about JWs (Bible Students) not recognizing the significance of 1914 until 1925...or something to that effect. No further explanation was given. What is the current WT line on what happened in 1925?

The box above the article was interesting as well. It contained some quotes from a book on economics from Alan Greenspan as well as a quote from some other academic type, in order to make a point that WWI was the most significant marker in human history. I was interested in just a bit of background research on the source material, but don't have have my hands on the actual quotes anymore.

Thanks for any info.

M.J.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

brought it BTTT for you, unsure of how to link to it

• Mickey mouse
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The quote from Greenspan was indeed supportive of the idea that time before 1914 was a Golden Age of peace and tranquility, as the WTS have long said.

Forgive me fo daring to dispute with such a distinguished author, but....it seems to me that it could not have been really that peacefull if it turned into the bloodiest war then known to man. Things must have been deceptive .

A little Googling reveals plenty of info . This is from http://www.historyonthenet.com/WW1/causes.htm

"A number of alliances had been signed by countries between the years 1879 and 1914. These were important because they meant that some countries had no option but to declare war if one of their allies. declared war first.

Imperialism is when a country takes over new lands or countries and makes them subject to their rule.By 1900 the British Empire extended over five continents and France had control of large areas of Africa. With the rise of industrialism countries needed new markets. The amount of lands 'owned' by Britain and France increased the rivalry with Germany who had entered the scramble to acquire colonies late and only had small areas of Africa.

Militarism means that the army and military forces are given a high profile by the government. The growing European divide had led to an arms race between the main countries. The armies of both France and Germany had more than doubled between 1870 and 1914 and there was fierce competition between Britain and Germany for mastery of the seas. The British had introduced the 'Dreadnought', an effective battleship, in 1906. The Germans soon followed suit introducing their own battleships. The German, Von Schlieffen also drew up a plan of action that involved attacking France through Belgium if Russia made an attack on Germany.

Nationalism means being a strong supporter of the rights and interests of one's country. The Congress of Vienna, held after Napoleon's exile to Elba, aimed to sort out problems in Europe. Delegates from Britain, Austria, Prussia and Russia (the winning allies) decided upon a new Europe that left both Germany and Italy as divided states. Strong nationalist elements led to the re-unification of Italy in 1861 and Germany in 1871. The settlement at the end of the Franco-Prussian war left France angry at the loss of Alsace-Lorraine to Germany and keen to regain their lost territory. Large areas of both Austria-Hungary and Serbia were home to differing nationalist groups, all of whom wanted freedom from the states in which they lived."

It does not seem so wonderful to me......................

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

The Witnesses use revisionist history to prove that everything before 1914 was lovely, then Satan and Jesus had it out and Satan was cast down to earth and made everything awful after that.

The truth is that life was not comparatively idyllic before 1914, but there was and is an unfounded perception in America that it was a "Golden Age". It's a very American eccentric view of that historical period that makes me laugh when I encounter it here and there.

Alan Greenspan is a guy that didn't see the recession coming and said he forgot to calculate human greed into his economic equations...and we're going to use him as some sort of perceptive authority on historical events?

The WTS cracks me up on who they use as a source for "authoritative" quotes at times. Often it's people who don't agree with them philosophically at all, but happen to say something they can wind into their articles to make them sound journalistic, like they accept a wide variety of opinions and views.

Lolapalooza time!

• TD
    TD

Hi M.J.!

In 1925, an article was published in The Watchtower entitled 'Birth Of A Nation' This article 'spiritualized' the birth of God's kingdom in 1914 into a heavenly, invisible event.

JW's ever since have believed that God's kingdom was set up in the heavens in 1914 with Christ as king. Most today aren't even aware that originally, God's kingdom was supposed to be established on the earth in 1914.

I think this is probably the 'significance of 1914' referenced by the Sunday article.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks!

Long time no see, TD! Hope all is well!

I think, despite the fuzzy perception-based statements made by Greenspan, the easiest way to refute the idea that the human condition went to crap since 1914 is in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population

I don't have time to go through the details, but I found it to contain pretty straightforward info on how conditions dramatically improved in the modern era.

• oompa
    oompa

it is just tooo funny.....since russell and co. was teaching that THE END of the world was coming in 1914.......almost every WT and publication was stating that the conditions in the world were so awful that many "friends" wondered if the date was wrong......that there was no way they could make it to 1914 since things were so damm awful in 1900........but NOW!.......oh ya.....it was all great before 1914

for 40 years before 1814 WT said the would was flucked up and sure to end in 1914.........this is nuts........oompa

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Watch Tower Corporation claims to dispense truth by "spirit direction" as "God's organization" (which is incorporated), standing in opposition to "the world", or "Satan's organization" (which by aggregate, is not incorporated). By the Watch Tower Society's definition of structures, the whole earth is easily divided into two groups . . . "God's organization", and Satan's organization".

So as I read the Watchtower magazine and other Watch Tower Corporation produced art, (literature), I understand there can only be two sources of confirmations offered as proof, or at least support, of claims made. One source would be from God, and and any other source would be from Satan.

When the Society prints worldly wisdom from "Satan's organization" for support of their claims, like the Greenspan quote or references from Thayer, or Vine (who was a Christian pastor in Bath when he produced his work) . . . how can we take the Watch Tower Society seriously? How can the Society seriously use as proof, statements from those the Society condemns and would have us condemn?

These are some of the serious credibility flaws in the Watch Tower Corporation's writings that expose the Society as a scam. A dishonest scam!

If ya got the truth, ya don't call up your enemy and ask him to provide the subjective evidence against himself and then show us that that's all ya got. That's just stupid!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit