No More Work on Saturdays at Bethels Worldwide

by Lost-In-Translation 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Lost-In-Translation
    Lost-In-Translation

The WTBS does not make changes unless they are forced to do so. Usually it takes a legal decision. We saw that with the donation arrangement worldwide.

I believe the judicial decision in Spain regarding Social Security and Pensions for former Bethelites woke up the Witnesses in Europe. Many on the Ex-Witness Spanish website have related experiences of regular publishers being furious with the decision of the Governing Body to essentially shut down the major part of the Madrid Branch and sending their printing presses to Germany.

The Governing Body members believe that since they are the earth's future kings/priests - they can do whatever they want at Bethel or Branch offices worldwide. But the reality is - they CANNOT do whatever they want. They cannot just use people as volunteers for decades and then just dismiss them without any assistance - the Spanish Government justly ruled that doing so is MORALLY WRONG. The Governing Body essentially has said, "Thanks for serving God all this time - now have faith that God will take care of you in your old age."

I'm assuming the WBTS had to reduce the number of hours that Bethelites can work in Spain, and by extension the European Union. Since it would not be right to just have European Branches close on Saturday - the Governing Body was forced to do so worldwide. The decision was framed -like always- as a loving provision for Bethel family members to participate more in the field ministry.

It's so sad that most Witnesses are totally clueless about such things.

• still_in74
    still_in74

Other possible reasons???

http://nys.netsos.com/site/files/Accommodating_Religion.pdf - very intersting read...

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The WTBS does not make changes unless they are forced to do so.

Not necessarily true. Occasionally--and I emphasize occasionally--they do make small changes to simply adapt to a trend. Eliminating Saturday work would not impact their productivity at all. In fact, it would probably save them money, since there are so many supporting systems and processes that need to be working in order for them to be up and running like normal. Other examples of this type of thing include increasing Bethelites' stipends incrementally. I foresee future changes like moving Morning Worship to 8AM instead of 7AM, and hosting more book studies on Bethel grounds (so Bethelites don't have to drive an hour to some book study where they meet with mostly other Bethelites).

In effect, as the younger generation at Bethel takes hold they will grant themselves little leisures, in hesitant imitation of JWs on the outside. This is simply the result of the crusty, farm-bred, depression-era Rutherford cronies dying off and a newer, more liberal generation taking over. Not that this has yet permeated the upper-most echelons, but the seatide is changing.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I agree with daniel-p in everything he said except I take a bit of issue with his response to this statement:

"The WTBS does not make changes unless they are forced to do so."

daniel-p replied: Not necessarily true. Occasionally--and I emphasize occasionally--they do make small changes to simply adapt to a trend.

For what it's worth, here's my input: I have seen big time changes that were forced upon the GB, although few people know why those changes were implemented. Few ideas originate from the top, but come from the bottom and eventually make it up the ladder. It's not the "trickle-down" effect, that's for sure. I can name at least seven right off hand. I even caused the GB to make a few changes while I was in Bethel (seven that I can remember) that effect the organization until this day. (How's that for blowing my own horn!)

My response is not to disparage daniel-p's remarks in anyway. That's why I said "few people know why those changes were implemented." I carried around with me quite a number of secrets when I was in Bethel. We were not supposed to talk about the inner workings of the organization, our jobs or accomplishments, so even other Bethelites and Bethel elders, and certainly the elders outside, did not know why certain changes happened. But, of course, no one would expect that a "mere" woman could be instrumental in causing the GB to implement change, or to even know why change occurred. I can tell you with certainty that lots of outside people have forced the GB to change the way the org. operates.

Actually, I've never talked about this subject before on a discussion board. I just never thought about it, but since it was brought up here, I thought I'd throw in my opinion too.

Barb

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Barb, you know you going to have to give us at least one of your changes. Also thanks for your and Verystupid77's input on bethel life from a womans viewpoint.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

We're in the last days ya know.....Go get some recruits...We need more $$.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Actually, I've never talked about this subject before on a discussion board. I just never thought about it, but since it was brought up here, I thought I'd throw in my opinion too.

Well, Barbara, now you KNOW you have to tell all!

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

Same here B. Bethelites bout to wild out up there. When I was there we got one saturday off a month and we used that to the fullest. We used to do kamaazi runs back home and to other locals, normally looking for sister's. We would get off work fri evening at 5 and hit the road out of town. One time we came back from detroit an waited till the last possible minute. I could make the trip from detroit to NY in 10hrs. We left at 11pm sunday night and pulled up in front of our bldg at 7:15 and head to work.

Same thing when I was there. We would get back to Bethel btn 5-7am, then off to work. I still have a picture of me sound asleep under a machine that one of my coworkers took. Mondays were rough after a full weekend traveling and partying....

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Let's not forget the obvious: It's a cost cutting move

It costs money for the Bethelites to run the offices and operate the machinery. Shut all that down on Saturday and they save money.

This also tells me that it costs the WTS more money to make a widget than they are receiving in donations.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

This also tells me that it costs the WTS more money to make a widget than they are receiving in donations.

The Watchtower Widget Company.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit