Have an iPhone? Jailbreak it.

by lurk3r 13 Replies latest jw friends

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

Up here in Coldville, we got the iPhone a year ago, and I actually stood in line for this highly anticipated little gadget. In February I had streak of bad luck and lost mine... but I just got another last week! Once you use this phone, there is no going back.

I was a little paranoid about "Jailbreaking" my phone when the cracks first came out last year. Since then though, it looks as though things are a lot more stable with it now, and I just thought I would share it, considering some here must have the iphone themselves.

I have a Mac, and I used the program Quickpwn to jailbreak or "unlock" it. I followed instructions off of youtube, and now that I have actually done it, I have to tell others, since it is so easy. Even a caveman could do it!

I loved my iphone without jailbreaking it. Now that I have, I have to say there is no going back now. It makes the whole experience of having an iphone SO much better. It is extremely customizable now. There are programs you d/l (for free) that let you do things with the iphone that Apple will not. Change your logo's, your lock screen, even the touch keyboard can be changed! Custom ringtones galore too. Right now my desktop on my iphone looks like a vending machine! There are literally hundreds of things you can do with your phone now.All the icons are even customized to make your iphone...yours!

One of the very best things about this, is that you can change it back to the original factory state if anything happens to go wrong, or if you happen not to like it. 3.0 is coming out soon, but with a Jailbroken iphone, you can do a lot of these things already.

If you have been thinking about it, it really isn't that hard to accomplish, and you may love your phone even more than you do already.

lurk3r

• VIII
    VIII

Can I Jailbreak it without a Mac? I looove my IPhone, BTW.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

VIII - You can break it without a Mac too. Quickpwn is available for windows as well! The whole process takes less than 10 minutes. It installs an icon called Cydia , and through that icon you get all the goodies. Quickpwn is free, and there are lots of video's on youtube to walk you through it.

You can still d/l regular apps from Apple too!

xgps is a program you can d/l after your phone is Jailbroken. Turn by turn navigation as you drive....and it talks to you too!

lurk3r

• VIII
    VIII

Thanks lurk3r! I was just watching videos on it on YouTube. I have so many apps now I lose track of what they are for. If I don't have it in my hand for an hour I panic. I find the landline and call myself to find it. Sad, I know. I am hooked. I haven't text'd in the car yet, just read at stop lights.

Edited to add:

Thanks lurk3r. I am adding this later, after I read your last post. I used all my posts for today and can't reply. I'll reply tomorrow, on Monday! Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know when I do it. take care.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

I d/l a different keyboard layout for the iphone - its called ITypeFastR. They make some of the more common letters on the keyboard bigger than others. I have always despised not having a physical keyboard on he iphone, but its a great program to improve keyboard accuracy.

I d/l a font changer yesterday too. You can change your iphone fonts even....and you get a huge variety! Old english even.

If you do it, make sure you backup in case something happens to go wrong.

Please let me know if you do. Im actually excited for ya...lol.

lurk3r

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Just a heads up to anyone who doesn't know this, but jailbreaking the iphone will void your warranty. If you're having hardware trouble, you might be able to reverse the jailbreak, but keep in mind that if there's enough evidence of your doing it, (and Apple has given techs several things to look for), you may be left with footing the repair.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

I have heard this too midget. If you are able to restore your iphone back to factory conditions, how will they have evidence of doing this? What things do techs look for? This is a software hack, not hardware.

Thanks

lurker

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Blackberry all the way. I hate touchscreen keyboards.

BTS

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Hi Lurkr3

Yeah you're right for most cases. Jailbreaking is much more reliable now and so long as restoring back to the original firmware can completely remove the custom carrier text (like that left from MakeItMine or something like it), then you'll be fine. If the process isn't thorough and the "Geniuses" find it then forget about it.

Unlocking the phone though by hacking and changing the baseband of the radio, is usually game over most of the time for the warranty.

• VIII
    VIII

Thanks for the info. I have had mine about 6 months now, so voiding my warranty would not make me happy. However, I didn't have time today to work on it so when I read more and look over all the info I'll let you know what I do. It really sounds intriguing. I love playing with my gadgets so this is a new one to work. I use it like a netbook.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit