Friends, Study Partners, and then GONE...

by ptucker8357 36 Replies latest jw friends

• ptucker8357
    ptucker8357

About a year and ½ ago, after much conversation with a JW co-worker, we began a formal study. We studied religiously (no pun intended) almost every week unless I was on business travel or there was a sickness or other item that precluded us from getting together.

During that process, we became very strong, close friends… at least that is what I thought was happening. We talked about starting our own business. We worked out at the gym three out of five days a week. We met to run 5Ks on Saturdays. I cherished that friendship because I never had such a close friendship with another man before… I’ve been married for nearly 30 years and had spent so much time building a career that there never seemed to be time for friendships…

One month ago, we both lost our jobs. At that point, he told me he was too busy and could not study with me anymore and he did not know when we would be able to re-start the study. He told me to find someone else in a Hall closer to my own home. I let three weeks go by and still I heard nothing from him despite my phone calls, emails and text messages. I finally sent an email asking what was up and asking if he was angry at me… this behavior on his part totally shocked me (and hurt me). He always talked of love, compassion, and brotherhood… reaching out to help people when they needed it. And, I needed it and he was pretty much ignoring me.

I finally got an email back in which he said he just did not have the time for me. It was disappointing but that’s the way it was…

I am totally bewildered. I apparently made a huge mistake and maybe this is God’s way of telling me that… needless to say, that doesn’t take away the hurt.

When I first started studying, others told me to watch out… that if I didn’t follow suit and get baptized within a time that the JWs decided was acceptable, they would write me off and move on… friend or no friend… Is that what has happened?

What’s Christian about this behavior? How can you just convince someone of your friendship and then just walk away…

I am freaked…

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

You know you're in a cult if...

Sorry. Could not resist.

People are completely expendable within this organization.

I was brought up in the org and know first hand what you are talking about.

Truly sorry for your pain.

Welcome to JWN. You will find many people who can relate to your experience. Some will be able to give you better insight to the mind of a JW and others can offer suggestions for moving on.

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself)

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I agree with AudaSapere. JWs are freaky. And their organizations is a mind-control cult. If you don't fully join, then you're out. There is no such thing as true friendship. It's all totally conditional. I am also truly sorry for your pain.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

You have just learned a Valuable Lesson...............Your not a Jehovah`s Witness..Your expendable...................................OUTLAW

• boyzone
    boyzone

I'm so sorry you had to experience the pain of this firsthand. In the main, Jehovahs Witnesses are friendly people but always with an agenda to that friendship. When it looks like that agenda (gaining a convert) isn't going to be fulfilled anytime soon, the friendship is dropped and the Witness moves on.

You see, the Watchtower Society have told the witnesses for decades not to make friends with people of the world,(all non-witnesses) but if you do have association with them, then it should be to only give a fine witness and encourage them to become witnesses too.

If in the event of that not happening, the time is described as too short to waste on timewasters, so the witness moves on.

To be fair to the brother studying with you, he has lost his job too and the stress he's feeling may be causing him to withdraw in many areas of his life, not just from you. He may even be having doubts about the "truth" himself, who knows?

But whatever the reason, your friendship with this brother wasn't what you thought it was and its best to realise that now rather than wait until after baptism to find out. Witness friendships are always conditional. Always.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

First of all, hello and hearty welcome, PTucker!

Secondly, I'm very sorry this has happened to you. What the other posters have replied to you is true... Witnesses are actually TOLD to "drop studies" if they are not "progressing in the (T)ruth."

I would like to think that your friend/study is pulling away from you because he is having doubts about the so-called (T)ruth himself... but the sad fact of the matter is, you are still a "worldly associate" who is "bad association."

Hang around and read a while, you'll see what we mean.

Love,
    Baba.

• chickpea
    chickpea

welcome to the forum, ptucker

there is nothing exceptional about how
    the weekly study sessions occurred.....
    pretty much the formula....
    if you were not already a JW, then
    you were not a study partner...
    you were a bible student and the
    time he spent conducting the study
    was reported monthly and accrued
    as his "service time"

where you studying a WT publication?
    there used to be a 6 month time limit
    on getting a student to start coming
    to meetings....

he might have had official word
    to drop you, since there was no
    "progress" in the study.....

could be a whole other story
    but from the gist of your tale...

sounds typical

• ptucker8357
    ptucker8357

I did start to go to meetings... not that often because I had strong family opposition, but when I did go, I felt warm and welcomed... I even went to this year's Memorial... it was weird tho, as the usual warm, welcome feeling wasn't there... Maybe some of the folks I met were starting to think I wasn't serious because it had been well over a year since the study started...

Where in the Bible did Jesus set a time limit on people's recognizing their own spirituality... Did I miss it... and was there some other message in Jesus's Sermon on the Mount telling people that you should walk away from good, open-hearted people if they don't conform... Did not Jesus extend his hands to all... the Samaritan Woman at the well... the lepers... the blind and misguided... this is clear... how can JWs not see this? This is a mind-blowing experience for me...

You have all been thoughtful and helpful... thank you... I don't know what's worse... me not realizing this sooner, me being so susceptible, me losing someone who I thought cared about me... combine all three of these and it doesn't make for a warm and fuzzy feeling inside...

If I can be blatant here... I am pissed...

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

You are not to blame! You will see mention of "love bombing" that happens when someone new is brought to the Kingdom Hall. One of my dear friends calls the way they treat new ones so favorably as "the flavor of the month".

Do not blame yourself. What the other posters have said about all of the JW friendships being conditional... believe it. Many, many, many on here have even lost their beloved FAMILY once they left the JW organization! Even their so-called "love" for family is conditional!

You are spot-on when you bring up the differences between their actions and those of Jesus. Jesus would have nothing good to say about their so-called "spirituality" and "love".

You have every right to be pissed.

Read on.

Love,
    Baba.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Your better off than most...Some have spent most of thier lives in that cult before they realised what was really going on..Some like myself were raised in it from children.........Consider yourself very lucky..To get away before you invested any more of your life into it..............................................OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit