An elder I know was accepted to be an International Delegate -$9,000 for 2 people!

by BonaFide 24 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

He is an elder, and he and his wife were "accepted" to go to South Africa. Including airfare, hotel, food, general tours, it comes to $9,000.

Have any of you experienced this or seen this before? I was out of the country for some years, so I haven't kept up with prices of being a delegate.

So, if they were to go without the "International Delegate" designation, would it still be $9000?

I would like to know.

BF

• nbernat
    nbernat

I've always wondered...the delegates get to stay with Witness families in some of the countries (namely in the USA) so does the Society charge them as if they would be getting a hotel room even though they're staying somewhere for free? I know the Society is very stringent on their policy of ONLY buying their packages.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I also know someone that was accepted to be an International Delegate, but for a different country.

I THINK it's about $4,500, but I'll try to find out for sure and post if it is a different amount.

Warlock

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

What's an international delegate? If you want to go to an assembly in some other place, can't you just go?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

This seems to be a big status thing lately among the cult members. Why anyone would want to waste a potentially fun trip to another country just to be bored as hell is beyond me.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    delegates get to stay with Witness families in some of the countries

I wonder how up to date this information is? I know that in times past that is what happened but the recent ones seem to use decent hotels.

The post gives no information as to the number countries visited or the length of the trip so we cannot assess the cost.

International assembly travel is a bit expensive, but not exorbitant.

To be accepted you have to be "in good standing" and a bona fide Witness but you would expect any elder and his family to be accepted..I recall the instruction in the notes when I was a cong secretary, " Do not recommend oddities" !

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

Both my sons are going to go as "delegates" to international conventions. I loaned one of my sons the money to go $2,500 for 2 people - Going to Germany. But that is just airfare and hotel (hope they don't need to eat). They do not stay with somebody locally. They are trying to sell one of their cars to pay me back. I know I'm enalbling them, but if it makes them happy.... I love my kids unconditionally, if they want to be Jwitnesses, mormons, moonies, Catholics (ahhhh) I love them just the same. What's it to me? I don't believe in anything like that anymore. I did know someone who went to an ineternational convention w/o being "a delegate". If you show up and go they will let you in. It is like any other convention - no security. MOst of the cost is in the airfare - just like any vacation. Allelsefails

• yknot
    yknot

The last time one of our district's 'friends' were invited it cost 6000 for travel and boarding the couple. Several circuits donated (total 8500 raised), on the premise that the couple would donate the remaining to the WWW in the district's name and travel to different KHs giving a presentation of their trip. If my memory serves me correctly the couple spent an additional 1000 on food and palming important Brothers.

With today's economics..... 9000 seems to be a solid WTS amount..... but only for airfare and lodging (tips, food, and greenhand shakes not included)

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

My SIL is accepted to be a delegate to an assembly in France, from an overseas french department. There are a few strings attached to the status, one which I know of is that she won't stay with us during the assy but in the hotel booked by the organisation. Good thing in a way, she's divorced and would like to remarry, will have opportunities for "wholesome association".

• moshe
    moshe

That money would probably feed 3,000 orphaned African kids in Darfur for a month- they never think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit