Our Bible is the "best".............

by Hobo Ken 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

I've heard this said so many times. Just why do jws think the New World Translation is sooooo good?

Is it because they are proud that their religion has the resources to produce a whole new translation?

I got an email comment from a guy who was in a bit of a rage about the nwt and how people needed to know about it.

I felt so sorry about it (he'd obviously just found out) that I told him I'd write a piece on my blog about it.

the blog is here New World Translation examined

Hobo ken

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hmm... Hobo ken, not to criticise, but the "J"-references in the NWT (NT translations from Greek to Hebrew, a couple from the late middle-ages and the rest modern) have nothing to do with the Jesuits (the Jesuit scholars referred to in your quote have worked on critical editions of the Greek NT based on ancient Greek mss, and of course they haven't inserted any "divine name" in the text).

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

Point taken narkissos. since the J symbol includes some jewish scholars work I had assumed it was a symbol purely representing Jesuits when it's not.

And you are corrcet it's only the WtS that have inserted YHWH in the greek text.

I have modified it.

Ty.

H.K.

• oompa
    oompa

hobo...the point is the J versions lied first......so it was ok for NWT to do it too.....so ya....others HAVE inserted it......oomps

you should write the society about this and see what they say........

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

A true fact. In an emergency, New World Translation paper is the best for rolling a marijuana joint.

BTS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    since the J symbol includes some jewish scholars work I had assumed it was a symbol purely representing Jesuits when it's not.

???

Just in case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Jesus

I suppose the choice of "J" as a category symbol for the Greek -> Hebrew translations (only some of which being Jewish) in the NWT simply refers to "Jehovah," although I haven't seen that stated explicitly.

And you are corrcet it's only the WtS that have inserted YHWH in the greek text.

Technically, they have inserted "Jehovah" in their English translation of the Greek text. Afaik they have never produced any Greek text "corrected" according to their assumption (the Greek text displayed in the KIT corresponds to the main text of Westcott & Hort's critical edition, and it reads kurios and theos). Btw I don't think they have ever been very specific as to the exact form(s) of the divine name (paleo-Hebrew characters, Greek graphic imitation, consonantic or vocalic transliteration) they assume might have existed in the "originals". In a sense the "J" references are aptly named: the only reason they have been chosen is that they appear to justify their choice in inserting "Jehovah" (nothing else) into the NT (as oompa sums up nicely).

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

> oompa

Good points .They are hardly trail blazers are they? They needed a hook and the name Jehovah's Witnesses is it so it would follow that they would jump on any work which referenced the name Jehovah.

As for writing to the society..... Iv'e done that in the past and got precisely nowhere. I'll need to put up my letter to them one day.

>narkissos

As far as could see the J 2 Manuscript referred to work from a scholar called Shem-tob Ben Issaac Ibn Sharput Who I assume has some kind of Jewish connections.

Im aware that the above post makes it appear that the Jesuits are Jewish when in fact they are a catholic order. Sorry about that.

Rushed this one a bit. Need to check my refs more carefully next time...........

Hobo.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Yeah... and so's their website.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    As far as could see the J 2 Manuscript referred to work from a scholar called Shem-tob Ben Issaac Ibn Sharput Who I assume has some kind of Jewish connections.

You're right about that; several Hebrew versions of Matthew are of Jewish origin: besides Shem Tob, J1 (du Tillet), J3 (Münster) and J4 (Cinqarbres or Quinquarboreus) which is a revision of Münster (J3). Afaik most other J-references are Christian translations -- some of them, ironically, done with the prospect of evangelising Jews to an "orthodox" Trinitarian perspective!

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

Thanks again Narkissos. I think the message I would like to get across in the blog is the Cynicism of the NWT whilst being presented as the standard-bearer of truth and accuracy.

The Blogpost

Hobo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit