Our Strengths...a list of attributes post-cult

by alamb 10 Replies latest jw friends

• alamb
    alamb

Found this tonite while online. I was comforted to know that we have all come out stronger...and why.

• Compassion & Empathy: Having survived cultic abuse, you may be readier to empathize with someone else's grief. It's easy to see the difference between the care and concern our commenters show each other and the hurtful sarcasm so prevalent in the blogosphere.
    • Analytical Thought: Most former cult members who go through conscious recovery — whether with a professional or on their own — think deeply about their core concerns. Duped in the past, you may exercise keen judgment and discernment so it never happens again
    • Social Activism & Altruism: Perhaps you joined a cult to seek spirituality or social justice. This often remains a core value after you leave. You may go on to political activism, cult activism, involvement in charity through your church or other organizations.
    • Survival: Don't overlook the simple fact you survived cultic abuse with your mind and body intact. Celebrate this every day.
    • Courage: This is particularly true if you walked out on your own. And it's present to the nth degree if you are an adult child of cult members. You never knew another way of life and may have lost your family and friend support network when you left. Yet you still left — and stayed out.
    • Resourcefulness: Anybody who leaves a cult demonstrates a high-degree of self-reliance, resourcefulness, and independence. These strengths are strong pillars you will build a new life on.
    • Skills: Don't overlook the skills you learned in your cult. Perhaps you learned a craft or profession. Using them after you leave is an ultimate revenge on the cult. But nearly everyone in a proselytizing group learned how to speak articulately and passionately. These are skills that are invaluable in career and family life.
    • Sense of Humor: Freud termed this a "high-level defense" and praised its value for meeting life's challenges. In the cult, maybe we relied on sarcasm and other hurtful speech. But our commenters here show a gentle, playful sense of humor that is life-supporting.
    • Optimism: People who throw off their cults' shackles are among the most optimistic people I know. You show a realistic view of the amazing possibilities of life now lived in freedom.
    • Gratitude: It's easy to be grateful for every day lived when you recover from repression, fear, anxiety, depression, harsh judgment, and the other cult-life realities.
    • Honesty & Trustworthiness: Many of us react strongly to the lies, fraud, and even criminality we participated in when in our cults. You may now resolve to live with a high-degree of honesty and integrity.
    • Openness & Reflectiveness: These come with time. Many people first leaving a cult are closed down and suspicious. But you may come to live transparently, share experiences and feelings, and fearlessly reflect on them consciously.
    • Inquisitiveness & Willingness to Explore: Did you become involved with your group because you were open to new things? After leaving, bolstered with increased analytical thinking, your openness is an attractive quality many people are drawn to.
    • Fearlessness: Many, many go on to start businesses, go back to school, begin writing books, and much more. You may be eager to grab your "second chance" and head in new directions.
    • Flexibility: In our cults, we learned at least two cultures, two languages. There was the language of the group — and then there was the language of "straight" society. Use that situational flexibility to further your career, develop new social skills, raise your kids. (What parent doesn't have to be flexible?)
    • Ability to Cope with Difficulties: The pressures you experienced in your group may make you more able to handle stressful situations. It feels great when you stop beating your head against a wall! And handling the normal strains of mainstream life seem like nothing after the cult.
    • Use External Challenges as Stimulus for Growth: You may be more conscious about turning bad things into good things
    • Intelligence & Creativity: The truth is cults attract the intelligent and creative. They can't use the weak. Some of the brightest and most creative people I've known were in a group. Freed from cult repression, you can go on to a remarkably successful career.
    • Curiosity: Perhaps the same child-like curiosity — in the best sense — that led you into your group will lead to a rich and fulfilling life outside.
    • Ability to Find Meaning Even in Adversity: You may find spiritual — or social/secular — meaning in what you endured.
    • Sense of Direction & Purpose: Perhaps because you are keenly aware of time lost in the cult, you can seek new purpose more intensely.
    • Ability to Grieve: You will say goodbye to the trauma — and integrate the good things about your cult — through conscious recovery. Despite what critics may say, most former cult members do not dwell on the past and do move on. I wish the same for all reading this!
  • BonaFide
    BonaFide

Wow, you made me feel good about myself. I really feel like a person, before I always felt bad about myself, no matter what privilege I had. I was supposed to view myself as a "good for nothing slave"

I do have confidence, and I do have a better sense of purpose. Actually, I like all of them.

thank you

BF

• alamb
    alamb

You're welcome. I wish they were my words.

Someone on the board once noted: "We are all here because we faced losing everything we knew in the face of finding out we had been wrong. And we chose to make it right at the highest price."

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Thank you.

• alamb
    alamb

to us

I wrote this awhile back...still true.

As a loyal JW, I was ready for my whole world to come to an earth-shattering halt and for life as I knew it to be gone...at the hand of my loving God. I would sit in school in my mental bubble and numb myself to the world around me. I grew older and entered the adult world and was aloof in my thoughts that I could not attach myself to any workmates or neighbors and put out my hand in friendship as they could be dead tomorrow and I would have to be OK with that. I only remember a life of grey, shades of grey punctuated by flashes of color and emotion which I quickly prayed to get through and to not be tempted by the colors I had seen. I viewed these as a sign of spiritual weakness and dove back into studying and praying and a living death I called "spiritual paradise".

After leaving that life behind I now find myself in an exploding rush of emotion and passion and life. Life the people around me think nothing of but it is almost too painful and beautiful and wonderful to endure. I am touched to the soul at the sight of people holding hands, and cry when babies laugh, and am intoxicated by the beauty around me. I am exhausted at the end of each day with the emotions I now can almost taste and the tuggings and longings I now feel to my bones. I want to see it all. I want to feel everything. I want to thank everyone who had a hand in dragging me from the lifeless shell I was in while I fought them off and never forget that kindness and humanity.

Thank you to the posters here for extending your hands and hearts, the lurkers for your curious spirits ( you aren't seen or heard but are very much felt), and the friends I have made for being the voice on the other end of the phone pointing the way for me, and to the friends I have yet to meet (may we walk this journey together). Life is good.

• Heaven
    Heaven

It was after I left home to attend school and then enter the working world that I truly began to realize the devastating ramifications of the WTS on me and my family. I had always been my own person and rejected any of their doctrines that didn't sit well in my heart and mind.... but listening to my mother speak about how bad everything was every time I went to visit my parents was certainly and eye-opener. Her complete abdication of responsibility for her life was another. Her ever deepening depression and collapse just broke my heart.

In the real world, the theme is "How can we accomplish this?" and "Let's make it happen!" and in the JW world it's "Everything and everyone outside of 'us' is bad"' and "What do you want to do THAT for?!"

I tried to help my Mum. What I learned is .... you can only help someone who truly wants to be helped. The best I was allowed to do was just be there. So that's what I did. I wish I could have done more.

• Gayle
    Gayle

That was so heart warming. Thank you. I forwarded this on to our ex-JW Meet-up group here in Phoenix. It is true that positive attitude is so much easier now and the negative attitude of the Watchtower causes its people depression and misery in the long run.

• alamb
    alamb

Heaven: You're so right. You can't help them if they're fighting you off. We just have to be who they know us to be; without the cult. And wait.

Gayle: Hello in Phoenix! Nice to meet you. Here's to happiness!

• wavvy
    wavvy

Thanks! Thats so beautiful. Sometimes its hard to avoid bitterness over past experiences, but I really think we are a special bunch of people to have come through all that and now to be able to bask in the sunshine of our freedom.

Thanks for sharing that with us!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Alamb..Cool Thread!........................................OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit