Warning - Independent thinking alert - shut down all systems

by donny 34 Replies latest jw friends

• aniron
    aniron

When a JW I was told that the name JEHOVAH was formed by a Catholic monk, Raymundus Martinus, in the 12th Century. He did it by taking YHWH and adding the vowels from Adonai, transliterated it into IEOVAH (no J back then). It was later approved by the Pope as the accepted name for God.

I could never understand why the Watchtower was quite happy to use a name made up by the Catholic Church. Yet condemn everything else that came from that church.

Because it has been used for so many centuries it has become accepted as Gods name, among many Christian groups.

I have Jewish friend who have told me that some Orthodox Jews considered "Jehovah" a laughable version of THE NAME. Though they are ok with Yahweh.

I have heard a Jewish Rabbi pronounce the name, but its nothing that you oculd really write down, very gutteral sounding.

• Mary
    Mary

It really doesn't matter if it's pronounced "Jehovah" or "Yahweh". One of the 10 Commandments was that the Israelites were not to use God's name in a "worthless" or "vain" manner. That is why the Jews to this day do not pronounce the Tetragrammaton----they feel that it is the holiest name in the universe and should not be used as an everyday name like "John" or "Bill" (even though the Jews today think the pronouciation of "Jehovah" as a joke and nowhere near close to what God's name really is). To do so would be showing great disrespect for God and would be viewed probably as sacriligious as them eating pork or digging a ditch on the Sabbath.

This is one area that Witnesses go way overboard on (like they do on so many other things). I think the vast majority of Christians are aware of the name "Jehovah"----they simply don't feel it necessary to use it on a regular basis. How many of us call our fathers by their first name? We might occassionally when introducing him to someone else, but 99% of the time, we call his "father" or "dad", not his Christian name.

There is no record that the Tetragrammton was ever written in the NT, but my understanding is that, that was because there was no real equivalent in the translation (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that). It wouldn't have been a big deal back then because Jesus and all his early disciples were all Jews and they would have already known what God's name was----it's not like it was anything new to them.

I've heard ministers use the name "Jehovah" in their sermons----so Witnesses are not alone in using the name. I don't know why they have to go to such frigging stupid lengths and argue about something that's not even a huge deal.

• cattails
    cattails

Exactly Mary. The pronunciation in Hebrew doesn't matter today because even Hebrew pronunciation has changed over the years.

Jehovah is an English approximation, maybe not as near as Yahweh to the ancient pronunciation, but neither is Jesus to Yeshua

or Jeremiah to Yeremyahu or even Isaiah to Yeshayahu. I don't know what "friggin stupid lengths" Outlaw is going to "argue

about something that's not even a huge deal." All I've noticed is that he sure likes to get me going and I find him insulting and

demeaning, but nobody is saying anything about it.

Did the early Christians know and use the name of God? It was part of their own names so I don't see how it would

be such a big deal. But out of respect for God they wouldn't pronounce it, yeah it was going beyond the scriptures but

I'm sure none of the Am-haarets knew much about the scriptures than what they gathered from the Levites and priests

teaching when they went to worship.

I find it fascinating that there are connections to words like Jove, and that Jupiter sounds like a corruption of Deus Pater.

Even the Samaritans said their temple was dedicated to Jove. Of course just like with the stories of the flood there's a

lot of exaggeration and embelishment that oral telling can put into stories.

There are records of rabbis discussion what to do with the Scriptures used by Christians because they contained the Name.

And that hints that the Early Christians disn't follow the superstitions attached to the Name. Also there's the text of Matthew

by a Jewish commentator who talks about the Name (ha Shem) being in the text of this Gospel.

But as a detached observer, does it really matter that much to me whether back in the first century they were vocalizing

God's name according to the way the High Priest enunciated it? No. It doesn't matter to my beliefs and the here and now.

Some people say Kate others call me Cat, still however you say it I know who my friends are.

Faith in God and Christ are of a personal nature.

Not some sort of orthopraxis by a hierarchichal religious organization.

• watson
    watson

Just another "stalker" here, but nice photo!!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

CatTails..

Poor you. Sounds like you can't even edit your own posts...What does that have to do with the Origin of the name Jehovah?

BTW The spelling of Jehovah couldn't be spelled the same because there was no such thing as a letter J. ..You showed similar names as early as 1106 in your above post..But No evidence the name Jehovah was used before the 14th century

I'm part Mexican, from Texas. You don't need to tell me how Jesus is pronounced in Spanish. It just proves my point...Exactly what proves your point?..Being part Mexican or Phoneticly spelling Jesus?..LOL!!

But you can't reason because you're a stalking megalomaniac who's been allowed to bully people in this forum...I`ve made a simple Statement.."The name Jehovah is a translation mistake made in the 14th century,by a Catholic Monk"..So far you have not come up with any proof to the contrary...............................................................LOL!!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit