Forced chemo, parental rights, and religious freedom

by dinah 15 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

My children were not fully vaccinated after my son had a horrible reaction. They were allowed to go to school, but I had to sign a waver that if there was any kind of out break in our community, they would be suspended.

• beksbks
    beksbks

It's tough Dinah. How would you feel if someone came along and told you how to raise your children? Then again, how can we as a people sit by and let a child die that could be saved.

• Bodhisattva1320
    Bodhisattva1320

the parents are not serving their child as they should. they are wrong and will suffer more for it.

i delayed my childrens immunizations and also had to sign waivers. i think that in most places it is this way. shots and all the info surrounding them is scary, but i felt it was neccesary in the long run (for travel) so we waited until they were 7 and 10.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Sadly, the child has a highly curable form of cancer (Hodgkins lymphoma) and his treatments were going well.

It's insane that they're abandoning a treatment that has a 90% cure rate for something unproven.

I dont disagree with alternative treatments ALONG with traditional medical treatments (especially ones with a proven high cure rate), or spiritual interventions that are desired, but to go to alternative treatments when the ones being used are working doesn't seem to make any sense.

My son, now 16, has Asperger's Syndrome (high functioning autism) and he reacted badly to the pertussis vaccine. He only had one at 6 months, but he was excepted from having more because of the high fever and neurological symptoms it gave him. ( mild convulsions and listlessness)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are two sides to this issue. If a parent genuinely believes that the medical system is a fraud or a scam, or that alternative remedies have a better chance of a full cure with no ongoing dependencies on drugs, it should be their right to exercise that belief. This holds as true if a parent refuses to get vaccinations or psychiatric drugs for their children because they actually believe such to be of no benefit or of great harm. This country is actually run by the drug companies forcing parents and children (and everyone else) to take their drugs. Voluntary acceptance of risks, which is necessary if we are to get anywhere with these diseases, is not tolerated.

However, the other side is when a religion forces parents to forgo treatments. If the parents believe that a treatment is probably going to do some good but the religion forbids it, there is something wrong with that religion. At that time, the religious leaders should be legally liable for any damage done for not seeking treatment. This is as true with blood transfusions--the Washtowel Babble and Crap Slaveholdery should be liable for any damage or death from refusal to take blood in an emergency because of confusion of which fractions are acceptable or if they choose, under pressure from all the hounders, to refuse all blood. It is the religion that should take full accountability in these cases.

• VIII
    VIII

Sorry I couldn't respond last night.

A religion forbiding any type of treatment is nutz, isn't it?

But, I don't like the government and especially activist Judges telling a parent what they should do. It is such a slipperly slope.

These parents really do sound worse than the average JW parent IMO.

As for vaccinations: I had to prove I had a mumps, measles and rubella vaccination to go back to college. I had no proof from when I was a kid and had to go to the primary care doc and get stuck with the stuff to prove I was still immune. Crazy. I'm over.....the age of consent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit