Comparison to ex-Mormons

by rebel8 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

I've been learning about ex-Mormons recently and was astounded at the similarities, right down to using TM .

Here's a free pdf I worked up that compares the similarities.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Rebel,

What a good comparision! As am Ex-JW, I can relate with many of them with amazement but i did not know much about the mormoms before. Many thanks for this kind of research piece.

Peace

Scott77

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I lived in a largely LDS town for years, and yes, it's hard to get out of the religion because it's so closely tied to family and community, in most cases.

• monophonic
    monophonic

i just read an article....my memory sucks, it was either in the atlantic, time or something similar.

they mentioned that 25% of active mormons don't believe in the faith, but can't get out b/c it will hurt them socially and financially if they're excommunicated. they're called jack mormons. i look forward to reading your article.

cheers,

tony

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Thank you, Rebel8.

The similarities are remarkable.

-LWT

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

My favorite and a brillian writer in my view is William Shunn (yup, that's his name).

http://www.shunn.net/

You should listen to the "Accidental Terrorist".

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

At least, as a Mormon, I would have been worthless to attempt to recapture. Mormons do not have any use for people to be celibate--part of their doctrine requires them to have children.

On the other hand, celibate people are gold to the Jehovah's Witlesses.

• rebel8
    rebel8

gubberningbody, thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it.

wt wizard, yeah, I wonder how I would have fared as a Mormon too. I can't breed (well at least now I can't). Or submit, come to think of it!

One thing that seems to differ is the ostracizing from the rest of the community. jws are a minority wherever they are. Mormons are the majority in some places.

I wonder what would happen if the wts opened up an equivalent of Brigham Young University. They certainly have the real estate available, complete with dorms!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit