Awake 1973 ="Chess causes family fights and is a game of War not for Witnesses!!"

by Witness 007 39 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Religion is about control no matter how irrational its expressed,

To say that the GAME of chess stirs up violence in the minds who play this game is one of those profound irrationalities.

Is it any wonder most JWS suffer from a multitude of mental imbalances.

• VM44
    VM44

"Also in play there is the danger of "stirring up competitions between one another" even developing hostility toward one another"

If competitions and hostility develops, particularly within a family, then there are other problems that need to be addressed. The cause should not be laid upon the game of chess.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Very true VM44

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Look what happened to Bobby Fischer.

religion got him.

According to Fischer he had "personal problems" and in that year he turned to the Worldwide Church of God for answers. For the next ten years Fischer became more closely identified with that church which had predicted the end of the United States by destruction in World War III starting in 1972. The church predicted the attacker would be a German-dominated United States of Europe inspired by the Pope of Rome, who would become the Antichrist. This was the foundation of Fischer's belief system as he entered the "Match of the Century" in 1972. When the world did not end, Fischer was disillusioned with the church.

Seems they predicted world would end in 1975, also.

Did they copy WT or was COG first in the prediction?

• StAnn
    StAnn

Amazingly, in 1973, my oldest brother won the chess tournament at his high school, then his district, then his region. He was all set to go on to the state championships when this article came out. My dad wouldn't take him to the championships to compete.

It was part of the beginning of the end as to why my brother left the "troof".

I hadn't thought about this in years. Years later in the 1990s I took my son, whose dad is an elder and stepmom is a pioneer, to compete in chess tournaments. He kept his trophies on the mantel at his dad's house and noone batted an eye.

Regarding board games, we played Risk but I couldn't get into Axis and Allies. It seemed so wasteful to me to send my troops in to be killed. I always wanted to declare peace or even a stalemate would have been sufficient.

St. Ann

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

It was a BIG deal

at the cong. I went to

Idiots

Freaks

Controlling Bast***s.................

But I only mean it in the kindest of ways

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Hungry Hippo's = Encourages greed.

Monopoly = Meterialism.

Card games = Lead to Gambling.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Any chess players out there? I propose a 'Stick it to the WT chess tournament' on chess.com

reply if interested

• dbq407
    dbq407

Did anyone notice a recent statement in the watchtower? I wonder how many elders,co's, pioneers go home and watch football every sunday? Almost everyone in my hall and every hall i've ever been to watch one sport or another. And here they use the word SHUN, but who actually does? When we got to this paragraph in the WT study no one even commented on this. Big surprise!

• Is Your Conscience a Reliable Guide? (‎2 occurrences)
      • 5:19-21) Accordingly, we can ask ourselves: ‘Does my conscience move me to shun sports that are aggressive, competitive, nationalistic, or violent?

• w15 9/15 pp. 8-12 - The Watchtower—2015
  • Village Idiot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit