The odd trajectory of Watchtower fulfillment of prophecy

by Olin Moyles Ghost 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• civicsi00
    civicsi00
    Even 1919 is already being swept under the carpet as has been pointed out recently.

Where did you hear/read this?

As far as I know, I also thought 1919 was being swept under the carpet. It was mysteriously missing from the "JW's must worship the FDS" study articles two weeks ago. But they haven't dismissed it entirely, nor can they. It's WHEN the FDS acquired it's 'supposed' power, so I doubt they can dismiss it so easily.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

civicsi00,

I had the same articles in mind, from the discussion here, nothing more.

The semantic difference between "swept under the carpet" and "dismissed" is probably debatable (as the wording of your own post suggests). What I meant anyway is that the WT uses two different strategies with its embarrassing "old lights". Sometimes they dismiss them explicitly -- as they have done repeatedly with the consecutive interpretations of the "generation," or with 1935 as the end of the heavenly call and new anointed as "replacements". Sometimes they simply cease to refer to them, without ever turning them over officially -- such as the 7,000 year "creative days". The latter strategy I meant by "sweeping under the carpet" (I like the expression, but I'm not sure I use it correctly ;-)).

As I have tried to explain in the other thread, the WT does not need the 1919 scheme anymore to justify its authority on the rank and file: the practical equation which validates it in the mind of the average Witness (although it strictly doesn't correspond to the official teaching so far) is "Faithful and Discreet Slave" = "Watchtower Society" = "Governing Body". Thanks to this equation the same entity is credited with the "authentifying sign" of "foretelling 1914" (what was actually foretold and how being long forgotten) which is still directing the organisation through WT literature. This of course does not stand if you look into the details; but most don't, and won't. The immediate interest of the Society is to encourage this popular equation, not to point to the details which can only instill doubt -- even to dismiss them officially. That's the reason why it seems unlikely to me that they will insist on technicalities again; certainly not to distinguish between the FDS and the WTS and the GB as they have done in the past; but probably not even to officially suppress the distinction.

If I'm correct about that, the big losers will be the minority of overzealous Witnesses who still have the old distinctions in mind. If they ask the WT about this they will obtain nothing but private evasive answers -- no official reaffirmation or correction.

• oompa
    oompa

look dude....... i know you are supposed to be smart and all.......but geeze.......the earthquakes alone show how close we are...........oompa

• Quandry
    Quandry

Rutherford used them all up! It's painfully clear that the WT/JW theology under Rutherford simply was not designed to last beyond the end of WWII.

Very funny, and true!!! It shows he thought "the end" was imminent....

I always used to wonder how assemblies at an amusement park in Ohio attended by a relatively small number of people could "put all religions on notice" and be in fulfillment of prophecy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit