Was your KH in need of repair?

by badboy 8 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

possibly seriously?

• Waffles
    Waffles

The last hall I attended had become a bit run down before they did some renovations.

Far worse then being a bit run down though, the place looked like it was decorated and coordindated by Ray Charles.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

the place looked like it was decorated and coordindated by Ray Charles.

LOL! I can come here everyday and get a good laugh about something.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Back around 1999, I attended the old Keon Park hall in Mahoney’s Road Reservoir (for all you locals). The hall was built on an easement that was prone to flooding every year or two, which meant the carpet was constantly being replaced by our insurance company.

Well we got approval for our brand new hall in Holt Parade Thomastown (again, for you locals) and 3 months before our quick build date, our old hall got completely flooded out. The local hall committee elders (3 congo’s shared the hall) in their wisdom took the insurance money that was given to replace the carpet and put it towards the new k/hall project! So for the next 4 months, we had to sit on bare concrete that was still musty and damp! Their words – “there is no point replacing carpet in a hall that we will not be using soon”. Never mind the health risks.

The hypocrites made the 3 congo’s put up with 3 rd world conditions so they could save a buck or two, how that glorified the house of God I will never know. All the parents with young children (who would normally sit on the floor) started murmuring about the stoopid decision and yes, were counselled for speaking out against an arrangement from Jehovah!

Mattieu.

• suchafool
    suchafool

The one I first went to was in need of renovations, but instead of doing that they built a big kh. We used to share an old run down hall that two spanish cong. shared and with adding us (english) and another spanish cong. that made four at one small hall. It was weird to go on sunday at 3 something in the afternoon. The hall they built is nice, a double kh I think you call it. But I think renovations would have been cheaper,but I am no builder so who knows. Unlike those big mega churches, most churches just renovate and stay in the same place. But it seems that kh's are always being sold and new ones being built.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was in KH's that had a surplus of building money so they always spent it before stuff was needed.
    I remember when they told the BOE about an upcoming project to repave the parking lot and put a huge gate up for security. The hall is in an affluent suburb and no break-ins had occurred. The PO did not ask our opinions, he just said it was going to be done.

So they put it to the cong for a vote and went through the formality of "those opposed" expecting no hands.
    I raised mine. I was a lone vote of NO, so the brother asked if I had questions. I asked about whether this gate was needed. They said some story about sisters coming back to their car alone in the parking lot after field circus. I said "Wouldn't the gate be open? Or is each sister going to be expected to open the manual gate, standing outside for a much longer time than if there were no gate, then close it again. That's when she would be attacked by some assailant." They tried to tell the congregation there were other reasons. They asked for a vote again because they wanted it unanomous. This time, others were opposed with me. They still passed it, but not without opposers.

The PO asked why I didn't raise my objections in the BOE meeting. I said he didn't give me a chance to do so, just informed us that this gate was needed. They got the gate and NEVER NEVER NEVER close it. So much money.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The Kingdumb Hells I have been in had little need for renovations, aside from getting an air conditioner that works (I wonder what company makes extremely good units that the Kingdumb Hells avoid). The climate control systems either had air conditioners that went on the fritz all the time, or the thermostat would not do its job and no one could figure out how to keep the temperature at a reasonable level consistently.

The Kingdumb Hell I went to at first had multiple levels, but was not any more hazardous or inaccessible than many regular churches I have seen (though people that cannot get up those stairs are under more pressure to make it anyway). About the worst was that the furnace and the air conditioner needed upgrading--the furnace was old, and the air conditioner was the Kingdumb Hell standard always on the fritz. Aside that, they were only creating problems where none needed to exist by building another one. Notably, the new one has also had the air conditioner go on the fritz, and the heat in one of the back rooms has gone out, too (likely one of the thermostats).

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

The last Hall I was in needed to renovate it's very old publishers!....

• badboy
    badboy

btttt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit