Word on the street is that Facebook is going to be banned...

by middleman 24 Replies latest jw friends

• middleman
    middleman

...at the next assembly. I've heard from various sorces that the GB are planning on making it off limits, like they have already done for Myspace. Has anyone else heard this? I'm not sure of this info but I do know that one of the largest Facebook JW forums was shut down by the owner due to this "possibility". Here's an email from the owner below...

"Myself and Helen have had a chat and we have decided that we are going to close the group. The recent unchristian activity bought about by so called witnesses and attacks on other members is just not what we wanted for the group.
    Our aim was to have a clean forum in which we could all chat and enjoy company yet it has become a place of suspiciousness and where people are having to try to prove who they are.
    I believe that the society are going to bring out a comment about face book at the assembly and Myself and Helen dont actually want to be part of anything that brings Jehovahs name into disrepute.
    I would suggest you remove yourselves from all witness groups as they are full of these so called witnessess waiting to pounce pretending to be someone they are not. I will leave it up to your own conscience but by removing the group i know my conscience will be clear.
    It was lovely talking to you all and both me and Helen are sorry it had to come to this.
    Warm christian blessings"

I hope this is not the case because I have meet some great people on FB...any thoughts on this?

• undercover
    undercover
    I've heard from various sorces that the GB are planning on making it off limits, like they have already done for Myspace.

Well, I don't think they've banned MySpace to begin with. And they won't ban Facebook.

What they will do is just like they've done with every other fad that distracts dubs from what the bOrg wants them doing...they demonize it. They put it in bad light and as if it's some tool that Satan is using to draw people away from Jehovah (read: the Society).

They won't outright ban it, but by the time they're through dragging it through the mud and making JWs feel bad about wanting to be a part of it, JWs in general will feel the need to shun the disgusting thing and close their Facebook accounts.

Then if any JW continues to use it, enjoy it, whatever, other JWs will hold that one in bad light for going against the counsel of the leadership. Most things are never banned outright, they just manage to convince the group as a whole that it's bad and allow peer pressure to take its course.

And next year it will be Twitter and the year after that whatever's the fad then and so on and so forth...

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I believe that the society are going to bring out a comment about face book at the assembly and Myself and Helen dont actually want to be part of anything that brings Jehovahs name into disrepute.

Lolz. UN affiliation, perhaps?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

They can't "ban" it because it's unenforcable.

W

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

They'll trot out Brother Some to tackle this subject.

"Some brothers have felt that social networking sites, such as Facebook, were simply harmless fun. They were subtly mislead by apostates, posing as true believers. What association would a true Christain want to have with unbelievers. Don't allow social networking sites to lead to your spiritual downfall. The promised new world is in sight!"

• dinah
    dinah

Anything to keep the sheeple from being exposed to us evil apostates.......

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Doesn't anyone ask why so many people seem to need a place to vent their feelings about the WTS?

If everything were just ducky, would they be having this problem? Removing the place where people can express their true feelings is not going t make the problems go away!

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Myspace has been "banned" in that it has been called out from the platform at assemblies and C.O. visits. To my knowledge, there is nothing in print, and it is not the sort of thing that would warrant judicial action. But, I would put Myspace in the category of R-rated movies and going to nightclubs--things that JWs are not supposed to do (but 'bad' JWs do them anyway).

It would not surprise me if the WTS comes down on Facebook. In fact, I am surprised that so many JWs are on Facebook when it's a social networking site like Myspace. It seems that if Myspace is "bad," then Facebook would be "bad" for the same reasons.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I also doubt they will ban it. Like Undercover said, they will disparage it and "Mark" those in the congregation that have a fb account. They will cite instances where children were hurt by being involved in an online community, how the society is only trying to protect them from satan's grasp, and how the internet is just Satan's latest playground that is replacing after school activities, drugs, and dances.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Blah blah blah kids don't listen to the society anymore and older ones don't do it anyway...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit