Why we can’t find lasting happiness

by gubberningbody 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Money lets you choose your misery.

We poor, banished children of Eve live in a valley of tears, no doubt about it.

BTS

• Robh_Brasil
    Robh_Brasil

We only can be happy when we learn to love and learn to be free.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Religion will not bring happiness. Instead, it makes them think they are happy. Chances are, it will tell them to give up what they inherently like and need, in favor of what God wants. They are urged to look for pleasure from doing what God wants, and not to look for pleasure in "selfish" pursuits. The result is that, while they now claim to be happy because they are doing God's will, they are in fact just as miserable and unfulfilled (or worse) than before. This is true whether one becomes a monk, goes on missionary work, or moves up the ranks of the clergy. And it is as true with Muslim and Hindu religions as with Christianity.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    will not bring happiness Instead, it makes them think they are happy.

Just curious. Is there a an actual difference between the two things? If I feel that I am happy, am I happy? Who is the judge of my happiness besides me?

BTS

• Satanus
    Satanus

parakeet

Cool stuff.

S

• Perry
    Perry

I think happiness is situational. Joy is closely related and I think can be much more stable.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

We're all faced throughout our lives with agonizing decisions, moral choices. Some are on a grand scale, most of these choices are on lesser points. But we define ourselves by the choices we have made. We are, in fact, the sum total of our choices. Events unfold so unpredictably, so unfairly, Human happiness does not seem to be included in the design of creation. it is only we, with our capacity to love that give meaning to the indifferent universe. And yet, most human beings seem to have the ability to keep trying and even try to find joy from simple things, like their family, their work, and from the hope that future generations might understand more.

-- Professor Levy, Crimes and Misdemeanors

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit