WT :They Don't Even Know the Bible!

by metatron 26 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

We may argue about doctrine but sometimes the Watchtower and Awake magazines suggest that their writers are simple minded hacks who don't really know the Bible as an objective subject. I say this because of glaring omissions that often occur.

Example: Some years ago, the Watchtower Hierarchy legislated that no one should clap when a disfellowshipped person is announced as reinstated. In discussions about this, they never brought up the Bible account about the Prodigal Son and his father's reaction to his return! Old-timers, who actually knew the Bible discussed this. (Luke 15:20)

A recent example: The May 1 Watchtower flatly states "God does not rule through human governments". Oh Really? Who does the Bible call "God's Minister"? About whom does it say "Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God". ( Ro. 13: 2)

I cannot tell you how many times I sat in the audience at a District Assembly and wondered if the writer of a talk even bothered to crack open a Concordance before he started composing the material.

I can assure you that, at one time, it was common and ordinary for Witnesses to have multiple translations of the Bible and freely quote Bible texts from the King James out of their memory. Now, the Watchtower can claim anything without fear of contradiction because their thralls wouldn't know if a quote came from Corinthians or the Koran.

metatron

• sir82
    sir82

The WT knows the few hundred out-of-context "proof texts" that are used over and over again to prop up their theology: Matt. 24:14, Matt. 24:45-47, John 17:3, Rev. 21:4, Ps. 83:18, etc.

The other 99.999% of the Bible may as well not even exist.

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Hi Metatron! You always have something interesting to share with us, and for that I want to thank you. You are spot on with this one. Rejoicing is mentioned in the Bible many times. Another example of this is the 100 Sheep, one is lost, The Sheperd leaves the 99 and goes searching for the one that is lost and when finding it, rejoices! Good catch Metatron.

Blueblades

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Metron,

And that is just the tip of a very big iceberg. They do not know that thousands of Christian Jewish believers in Jerusalem were still keeping the Law. Acts 21:20 And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: Or that the letter that James hurridly wrote to stop the argument was not intended for them: Acts 21:25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication. So much for their blood prohibition. Or that Paul had to argue with them to get this much relief which included some Apostles who were still keeping the Law like this: Gal 2:6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man’s person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me: 7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; 8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) 9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. Or that Paul was an Apostle of Jesus Christ and not just someone voted into office like Matthias: 1Co 1:1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,: or Ga 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;) Or that Passover is a 7 day observance during which our Lord was imprisoned and died They observe their memorial on the wrong Jewish date since unleavened bread was never eaten on the 14th of Nisan. And they do not know where the Kingdom will be of how it will function, or who will be in it or why. And they do not know that we are supposed to be witnesses of Jesus: Ac 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. And much more which makes one wonder how they still get away with it to this day.

Joseph

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When you say they don't know the bible you're leaving them a way out - ignorance. I think the WT leaders know the bible. I believe they are deliberately selective in it's implementation in their doctrine. They pick and choose scriptures that support their agenda and ignore the rest.

W

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Finally Free.

Makes no difference. The Judgment of them will not be favorable. 2Co 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. The only way to protect yourself from such ignorant things or deliberate deception and such judgment is to leave. Does anyone think that excuses will work at such a time?

Joseph

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

Yes great thread. The WT make it up as they go along and pay lip service to the bible. As Jesus says, "it is written"

Matthew 15 (New International Version)

Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:
    8 " 'These people honor me with their lips,
    but their hearts are far from me.
    9 They worship me in vain;
    their teachings are but rules taught by men.' [d] "

Let us not forget the parable of the lost coin also! In fact, Luke 15 has three parables in a row all concerning this Luke 15:10 (New International Version)

10 In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

All the best,

Stephen

• snowbird
    snowbird

You're so right - all of you.

FF, they have to know what they're doing is wrong.

For instance, they quote Luke 12:32 to "prove" that only a few have the heavenly hope, but the context in which Jesus' remarks were made suggests that He was referring to His immediate disciples, who were indeed a little flock.

They also conveniently ignore Luke 12:33 which instructs the "little flock" to sell all their belongings and make gifts to the poor.

Luke 12:32 "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. NIV

Sylvia

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Sylvia,

"Ah, but that is for the anointed!" they cry.

"Ah that is for the Jews, the little flock and those grafted in" I cry!

"What?" they say!

"All those who are born again, Jews, Gentiles, every tribe, every nation, every tongue. You'd better read your bible Romans 11"

All the best,

Stephen

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi, Chalam.

Yes, amen!!!

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit