We are NOT serving a manmade organisation - Bible persuades us?

by hamsterbait 14 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Anybody remember the study, at least four years past. where the Borg said we were not to use the words "the Society says" - in case people think we were baptised into serving a man made organisation.

In the same study we were told not to say things like "celebrating birthdays/christmas etc is AGAINST MY RELIGION" otherwise people might think we are a "member of a cult." Instead we must say:

"MY understanding of the Bible (HAHAHAHAHA) persuades me to avoid unscriptural celebrations."

Lets ignore Colossians 2: 16, or Romans 14: 5,6. Which celebrations are unscriptural??

Of course WT writings "have become part of the Bible" (can somebody reference that infamous quote?) so its our understanding of the BORG that persuades us - or the fear of their inflicted consequences for disobeying.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA not even standup comedy pays as well as selling the litterature!

Would you now celebrate with a clean conscience?

HB

• yesidid
    yesidid

March 15 1998: 4

Instead of saying, "the Society teaches," many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, "the Bible says" or, "I understand the Bible to teach."

In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving t

he false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect. Of course, suggestions as regards

terminology should never become a subject of controversy. After all, terminology is of importance only to the extent that it

prevents misunderstandings. Christian balance is required. The Bible admonishes us "not to fight about words." (2 Timothy 2:14, 15)

The Scriptures also state this principle: "Unless you through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken?"

—1 Corinthians 14:9.

• jws
    jws

Romans 14:5 says:

One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

Isn't this saying God doesn't care? If you think a birthday is a sacred day, fine. If you want to be like the JWs and think each day is nothing special, fine.

• Spook
    Spook

The bible is non-consensible.

Even the quote

The Bible admonishes us "not to fight about words." (2 Timothy 2:14, 15)

Is nonsense. To admonish is a verb and they are anthropomorphising a book. The truth is that The authors of the article admonish you to believe that Paul's admonishing Timothy to "not fight about words" is also and equally applicable to specific situations in their modern lives, and that you should furhter believe this becuase of their authority claim to divine direction.

Actually, they probably claim it is self evident. When it comes to the bible, this means "it is evident to them."

I cannot imagine a bible based discussion which isn't a fight about words.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wonder what happens if one were to look up Luke 2:10-14 in a regular Bible. One will find there, that the angels--perfect angels--celebrating the very first Christmas. Not scriptural?

I go ahead and say that it is against the witlesses' religion to celebrate Christmas anyways. And I will not hesitate to blab that it is a "sun-worship" holiday to the witlesses, and that it is in the Bible in case anyone needs to see it in the Bible before they actually do it.

• androb31
    androb31

hamsterbait here you go....

Our coming to know "the truth" - the entire body of Christian teachings that has become part of the Bible - and adhering to it are essential for our salvation. - Watchtower December 15 2008, pg 28.

jws said...

"Isn't this saying God doesn't care? If you think a birthday is a sacred day, fine. If you want to be like the JWs and think each day is nothing special, fine".

I agree with "Isn't this saying God doesn't care? If you think a birthday is a sacred day, fine"

But, since no one has ever become a JW by just reading the Bible alone I'd have to disagree with "If you want to be like the JWs and think each day is nothing special, fine".

If a person were to come up with that kind of thinking on their own then more power to 'em.

Unfortunately JW's only think that way because they're doing what they're told, under threat of annihilation at Armaggedon. They've let another man or group of men force their matters of conscience onto them and tricked themselves into thinking they came up with it on their own.

Romans 14:5

One [man] judges one day as above another; another [man] judges one day as all others; let each [man] be fully convinced in his own mind.

Col. 2:16

Therefore let no man judge YOU in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath

• dinah
    dinah

If they weren't a cult, they wouldn't have to coach their members on how to answer questions.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

“Follow Me Continually” - The WATCHTOWER, August 15, 2002, page 15

“To this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely.”—1 PETER 2:21.

JESUS CHRIST was by far the greatest Teacher ever to walk the earth. Furthermore, he was perfect, never sinning during his whole life course as a man. (1 Peter 2:22) Does that mean, though, that Jesus’ example as a teacher is too lofty for us imperfect humans to imitate? Not at all.

2 As we saw in the preceding article, the foundation of Jesus’ teaching was love. And love is something that all of us can cultivate. God’s Word often urges us to grow and improve in our love for others. (Philippians 1:9; Colossians 3:14) Jehovah never expects from his creatures what they are unable to do. In fact, since “God is love” and has made us in his own image, it can be said that he designed us to show love. (1 John 4:8; Genesis 1:27) So when we read the apostle Peter’s words recorded in our theme text, we may respond with confidence. We can follow Christ’s footsteps closely. In fact, we can obey Jesus’ own command: “Follow me continually.” (Luke 9:23) Let us consider how we may imitate the love Christ showed, first for the truths he taught, then for the people he taught.

Building Love for Truths We Learn

3 To love the truths that we teach others, we must love learning such truths ourselves. In today’s world, that sort of love does not always come easily. Such factors as deficient schooling and bad habits developed in youth leave many with an abiding dislike of studying. It is essential, however, that we learn from Jehovah. Proverbs 2:1-5 says: “My son, if you will receive my sayings and treasure up my own commandments with yourself, so as to pay attention to wisdom with your ear, that you may incline your heart to discernment; if, moreover, you call out for understanding itself and you give forth your voice for discernment itself, if you keep seeking for it as for silver, and as for hid treasures you keep searching for it, in that case you will understand the fear of Jehovah, and you will find the very knowledge of God.”

4 Notice that in verses 1 through 4, we are repeatedly urged to put forth effort not only to “receive” and “treasure up” but also to “keep seeking” and “keep searching.” What, though, is to motivate us to do all of this? Well, note the phrase “incline your heart to discernment.” One reference work says that this exhortation “is not an appeal for attention only; it is a demand for a certain attitude: an eager receptivity toward the teachings.” And what can make us receptive and eager to learn what Jehovah teaches us? Our viewpoint. We need to view “the very knowledge of God” as “silver” and as “hid treasures.”

5 It is not hard to acquire such a viewpoint. For example, the “knowledge of God” that you have taken in likely includes the truth that Jehovah purposes that faithful mankind live forever in Paradise on earth. (Psalm 37:28, 29) When you first learned that truth, you no doubt viewed it as a genuine treasure, a piece of knowledge that filled your mind and heart with hope and joy. What about now? Over time, has appreciation for your treasure become faded or tarnished? Try, then, to do two things. First, renew your appreciation, that is, refresh your mind regularly as to why you value each truth that Jehovah has taught you, even those you learned many years ago.

6 Second, keep adding to your treasure. After all, if you happened to dig up a precious gem, would you simply pocket it and walk away contented? Or would you dig to see if there were more? God’s Word is full of gems and nuggets of truth. No matter how many you have found, you can find more. (Romans 11:33) As you unearth a nugget of truth, ask yourself: ‘What makes it a treasure? Does it give me deeper insight into Jehovah’s personality or his purposes? Does it offer some practical guidance that can help me to follow in Jesus’ footsteps?’ Meditating on such questions will help you to build up your love for the truths Jehovah has taught you.

Showing Love for Truths We Teach

7 As we teach others, how can we show that we love the truths we have learned from God’s Word? Following Jesus’ example, we rely heavily on the Bible in our preaching and teaching. In recent times, God’s people around the world have been encouraged to make greater use of the Bible in their public ministry. As you apply that suggestion, seek ways to let the householder know that you yourself value what you are sharing from the Bible.—Matthew 13:52.

8 For example, in the wake of last year’s terrorist attack in New York City, one Christian sister was sharing Psalm 46:1, 11 with the people she met in her ministry. She first asked people how they were coping in the aftermath of the tragedy. She listened carefully to their response, acknowledged it, then said: “May I share a scripture with you that has really comforted me during this difficult time?” Very few refused, and many excellent discussions resulted. In talking with young people, the same sister often says: “I have been teaching the Bible for 50 years now, and do you know what? I have never come across a single problem that this book can’t help to solve.” By using a sincere, enthusiastic approach, we show people that we value and love what we have learned from God’s Word.—Psalm 119:97, 105.

9 When people ask us questions about our beliefs, we have a choice opportunity to show that we love God’s Word. Following Jesus’ example, we do not simply base our answers on our own ideas. (Proverbs 3:5, 6) Rather, we make use of the Bible in replying. Do you fear that someone might ask you a question that you will not be able to answer? Consider two positive steps you can take.

10 Do what you can to be prepared. The apostle Peter wrote: “Sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone that demands of you a reason for the hope in you, but doing so together with a mild temper and deep respect.” (1 Peter 3:15) Are you ready to defend your beliefs? For example, if someone wants to know why you do not take part in some unscriptural custom or practice, do not be satisfied with saying, “It’s against my religion.” Such an answer may suggest that you let others make your decisions for you and that you must therefore be a member of a cult. It might be better to say, “God’s Word, the Bible, forbids it” or, “It would displease my God.” Then give a reasonable explanation as to why.—Romans 12:1.

... blah blah blah.

• VM44
    VM44

"For example, if someone wants to know why you do not take part in some unscriptural custom or practice, do not be satisfied with saying, "It's against my religon." Such an answer may suggest that you let other smake your decisions for you and that you must therefore be a member of a cult."

Yes, a better answer would be,"I don't partake because if I did I would be ostracized and disfellowshipped by my relgion and my friends and family would be prohibitted from associating with me."

Now THAT would be a good answer to give!

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I don't make a big deal about birthdays but mainly it's because I'm nearly 50 and am trying hard to forget them. LOL

But, I allow my kids, who are not and have not ever been JWs, to observe their birthdays, get and give gifts to friends on their birthdays.

My parents, being unreligious, was never keen on Christmas or Easter even before becoming JWs, so they thought it was great that they didn't have to observe anymore! It didn't involve giving up much for them.

But, because of that, I don't have a lot of "feeling" for those holidays, no associations that mean anything, but I don't deny others the right to enjoy them.

I don't see them as religious holidays for the most part anyway. They're purely secular family occasions to most people anymore, and have evolved away from their religious roots.

There's nothing wrong with saying "it's against my religion" unless you're worried that makes you look like a crackpot. LOL Other people say it all the time without that fear, honestly!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit