The Casual Importance of JW elders

by BonaFide 31 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

So here is one thing I have noticed, and I bet I was like this before myself.

So many JW elders have a sort of "Casual Importance" attitude at the meetings. They nod a lot, they have those huge bookbags, they read those Society letters during the meetings, they walk down the aisles during the meeting and whisper in each others' ear, they always sit in the aisle seats.

They give the appearance that what they are doing is the most important thing in the world.

Even the way they stand, and their manner of speaking reflects that they feel important, but that they are "trying" to be humble even though Jehovah God himself is using them.

For example, tonight before the meeting I was talking to an elder about the upcoming assembly. He said in this special tone of importance, "You know, Bonafide, as elders we need the information too, we need that spirtual food. Even though we may have a talk on the program."

And during the meetings the elders comments are often way longer, and they speak with more "weight" than the rest of the bro's.

I worked in a hospital a few months ago, I interacted with a lot of doctors and staff. Even the SURGEONS AND ADMINISTRATION SEEMED MORE DOWN-TO-EARTH THAN THE ELDERS. None of them said, "You know Bonafide, as a surgeon, I need to continually learn." They just do their job and act normal.

But the elders have that aura of Casual Importance, like they are in charge of people's lives.

What is up with that?

BF

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I should say, I know why they do it, but now it seems so silly to see them doing it. They don't realize they are being duped.

BF

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I don't think they care they are being duped because they get off on their power/ego trips.

They build themselves up by knocking others down.

Their own inflated egos are all that seem to matter.

Vanity is shallow.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are there to hound and enforce the rules. They want to make sure no one does something that they have the right to, because it might stumble others into thinking it is acceptable. They have to make sure nothing goes on that might result in a bit of fun or excitement for the witlesses.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If all you have is a Suit and a BriefCase.....You better have a pretty good act,if your going to be entertaining!........................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• boyzone
    boyzone

Yep, thats it Outlaw! The elders posture because thats all they have! They're little men with an "important" respected position, looked upon by the rest of the congregation as spiritual big-guns.

Without that "elder" title they're smallfry like the rest of us. Like little boys in big hats, they think they're important but just look silly.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"Even the SURGEONS AND ADMINISTRATION SEEMED MORE DOWN-TO-EARTH THAN THE ELDERS."

Quick - tell me what hospital! Then I'll know what hospital to go to, in stead of having with the pompous popes which I have always met at all the hospitals I have ever visited!!!!!!!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

BoyZone..Yes that is funny.."Little Boys in Big Hats."...........That reminds me of a saying in Ranch Country..You`ll see someone with a real big Cowboy Hat..But..He`s not a real Cowboy..He has no horse or cattle............The saying goe`s.."All Hat and no Cattle!!"... ..........................................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Boyzone,

The majority of the ones I met were inflated with their own importance.

Could not command a senior job of importance in the outside world, used the elder arrangement to make up for it.

Not able to handle people with the correct amount of concern and feeling, using the stick, rather than using the carrot to get the desired results.

Most of all treating the R/F as if they cannot contribute to a situation because of lack of intelligence and spiritual knowledge.

If you have no common sense............wear a smart suit

KT

• Blueeyes54
    Blueeyes54

I had noticed such behavior. What is more, they frequently open their meetings in the little dreaded back room with statements of headship and "We're the stars in Jesus hand!" Another one is "We're the duly appointed authority, acting with Jehovah's Holy Spirit." Jeus bought us with his blood and he said his load was light and his yoke was kindly. When we go before elders we should expect them to act as Jesus would. He warned about taking the best seats and wearing scripture containing cases. Posturing on the corner, claiming that your righteous prayers are more important than the tax collector. Jesus must have found a use for tax collectors as he chose Matthew and favored Zacchaeus. I always hated climbing over their big elder bags at meetings and conventions,especially when I was packing babies. Postering is for peacocks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit