Climate Change - Why are only the negative points presented?

by donny 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• villabolo
    villabolo

Donny, a meterologist is not expert enough to know the big picture. He needs to be, at minimum, a climatologist and better yet a paleoclimatologist. Paleoclimatologists know that the co2 levels today are the highest they've been in 600,000 years and if we keep burning fossil fuels at the rate we are it will be the highest it's ever been since a major catastrophe occured fifty million years ago.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Once upon a time scientists did not believe in evolution, now they do. Once upon a time some of them predicted an ice age based on limited and flawed information. Contrary to what some may think global warming was also being predicted-I remember it being popularized by Charlton Heston's 1973 movie Soylent Green.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    According to the "experts" in 1976, we should be in the beginning of an ice age here in 2009.

No, this is untrue. If you remember that, you are remembering wrong. Probably, this is an implanted (by global warming deniers) memory for you (this is afterall, 35 years ago you're talking about), iow, you do have a vague memory of some Time magazine article or somesuch, but don't remember the specifics; however, you've been told the specifics are as you've said here. Not so.

Can you find some "expert" who postulated that back in '76? I would not doubt that.

There was discussion, speculation, and research about cooling yes, but it was NOT an overarching consensus, and it WAS based on timelines from the past (iow, almost worthless within a small window of time).

But I assure you, in 1976, the theory of GHG induced global warming was well established, and good science was being applied to the theory. The theory has grown only stronger every day since then.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Good point SixofNine. I remember the issue of global warming even being popularized in 1973 in the movie Soylent Green starring Charlton Heston. So people where aware of the issue back then.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Chicken Little would be proud.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

No, this is untrue. If you remember that, you are remembering wrong.

For you to say we're remembering wrong is insulting. Maybe you're just going senile?

I distinctly remember "the coming ice age" hype in the 70s. But we all knew better: Armageddon was coming instead!

The climate scientists at RealClimate.org. remember it, too: The global cooling myth

~Sue

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If it gets too cold, there will be less cloud formation which will allow more sun to reach the surface and this will result in more heat. If it gets too warm, more clouds will eventually develop and these will reflects much of the suns rays back into space.

Hey, we all wish your friend was speaking accurately. Unfortunately, human caused additions to the ghg levels in the outer atmosphere just aren't part of your friends slice of that symbiotic relationship I spoke of above.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I distinctly remember "the coming ice age" hype in the 70s.

Right, but you remember it wrong (as your own link reinforces my point). Feel insulted if you wish, but get your facts straight. You remember the hype. What you don't remember, is the science, nor do you remember the amount of scientific consensus vs todays scientific consensus. IOW, what you remember is quite irrelevant to any honest discussion.

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

For you to say we're remembering wrong is insulting.

Ditto, It was taught in school in our science books. It is not a vague memory implanted in reading something I haven't read.

Blithe

• Warlock
    Warlock
    For you to say we're remembering wrong is insulting.

BF,

You must remember, six is a flaming liberal first, human being second.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit