How do we learn to really trust?

by Sirona 11 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

Sirona,

I trust everyone at first. I am disappointed quite often. I used to hold this against myself and say things like: "Gee Joel, you must be worthless for people to treat you like that when you trusted them and didn't do anything to them." This behavior has been the cause for a good deal of mental pain and stress for me over the years. I have not noticed much difference between the reaction of witnesses versus non-witnesses to me in this regard. In both groups I found a very few that I could trust totally, a few more that I could trust situationally and the rest were not really trustworthy.

I am working on changing my attitude regarding this. I still intend to trust everyone at first. They will have to prove their untrustworthiness to me. I understand the risks involved however my personal ethics require me to take this path. I do however plan to change my pattern of behavior after someone has proven untrustworthy.

1. I will not blame myself for another person's untrustworthiness.
    2. I will not exert effort trying to change that person into a trustworthy person.
    3. I will move untrustworthy people to the fringes of my life.

I think our circle can involve people at different levels without completely eliminating them from our life. In the past I have had a
    "zero tolerance" policy, either you were in or you were out. I've decided this is a bad policy. My new policy allows people in my life, but at arms length, if I know that their trustworthiness is less than total.

So, I will end up with close friends, friends, associates and acquaintances and a fifth group of people who I will hesitate to call enemies, but who will not be involved in my life.

I define trustworthiness not only by a person's honesty but also by their kindness, compassion and loyalty. All those qualities make up someone I consider trustworthy.

take care

Joel

• badwillie
    badwillie

JoelBear makes some excellent suggestions IMO. We cannot give ourselves completely to everyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit