Pumping Gas with engine running....

by cameo-d 29 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I saw someone doing that today. Big old Ram truck and the motor running while he was pumping gas.

How dangerous is that?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Wow!!!! friend of mine was badly burned when he did that .
    Was disfiguerd for life .. Fool.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I'd watch from a safe distance.......

• crapola
    crapola

Very stupid indeed! Could blow himself into next year. I've also heard that it's dangerous to talk on a cell phone while pumping gas also.

• musky
    musky

"I've also heard that it's dangerous to talk on a cell phone while pumping gas also."

Wasn't that on myth buster's?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I yelled at him to turn off his engine. He gave me the finger.

There was one empty isle between us. Is that a safe enough distance????

I just wanted to get the hell out, but I was pumping too.

There are no attendants to monitor the fast fill er up places.

I noticed he paid with cc and did not go in.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Another thing that can happen is static discharge. When its cold out people will turn on the pump then get back in the car, and if they don't ground themselves before touching the pump again they can cause a spark and ignite the fumes then they panic and pull the pump out with the gas still running and cause all kinds of problems.

Anyway if you go back in your car be sure to touch the metal on your door before touching the pump on those cold dry days.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Wasn't that on myth buster's?

I don't know about cell phones, but they did a segment testing whether static electricity generated by getting out of the car could cause a fire when the driver touched the metal gas pump handle.

They found that most older people don't have that problem. Middle-to-older-aged people usually ground any static safely by grabbing the door frame or other metal part of the car as they haul their reluctant bodies out of the car.

Those most at danger are limber young people who can get out of a car without touching anything to ground the static until they touch the pump. Most documented fires and explosions at gas pumps were caused (accidentally) by young drivers.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I always do the Dukes of Hazzard thing when at the gas pump.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Hmm... I wonder if that truly is dangerous. I mean why would it be? You are adding fuel to the tank; combustion happens in the engine...far removed from the tank.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit