So I went to dinner with a big group of Witnesses last night - No Biblical discussion or WT talk of any kind

by BonaFide 27 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    damn if you do damned if you don't! I guess if they had sat there talking all about scriptures and the special talk you would have called them mind-controlled. threads like this show me truly how biased anti-witnesses are if they can only put negative spin on everything Jw.

This comment shows just how little you know about what it is to be a JW. For anyone who has been assocaited with JWs for any length of time, or was one some time ago, they know how much importance the Society puts on being spiritual in all aspects of one's life. Many talks and articles are presented that counsel JWs about the content of their conversations. They make note of things like, "from one's heart, one speaks" or something to that effect, basically saying, if you're talking too much about non-spiritual things, then you need to reevaluate your thinking.

The comments on this thread make note that today's JWs, as compared to a generation or two ago, have not taken this counsel from the Society to heart. If from their heart, they speak they are showing that spiritual things are not the most important things to them.

Not all these comments are critisizing or condemning them, we're just making note and comparing different generations attitudes and actions.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

And if you doubt that Witlesses view older books and lterature with suspicion you only need to look at Reiaas post in the oral sex thread, where she demands quotes from magazines THIS century as proof, rather that WTs from the 80s.

Or look a PWP post on "how old is the Proclaimers Book" - where he quoted from it to prove a point, and his mother said sarcastically "OH- and how OLD is the Proclaimers Book", as if that scuppered his point.

I had a recent discussion and I quoted "the nations shall know" book , where it said the Great Trib would start within the 20th century - the witless concerned looked at me suspiciously. Her eyes narrowed to cobra slits, then she asked "WHY are you bothering to read the old books?"

HB

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

UC - exactly. I think its great that so many JWs don't take "the truth" nearly as seriously as they used to. Clearly the under 40 generations do not place the same level of committment to the WTS as the older generations did. I can't count the number of times we were counseled either from the platform or from the KM/WT on how our conversations should be spritually upbuilding. For example, when I was younger, I don't recall very much gossip in service. Now (at least in my experience) the topics of conversation have little to nothing to do about WT teachings or the Bible.

Not sure how an observation of discussions is either positive or negative. It is what it is.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

lol damn if you do damned if you don't! I guess if they had sat there talking all about scriptures and the special talk you would have called them mind-controlled.

threads like this show me truly how biased anti-witnesses are if they can only put negative spin on everything Jw.

LOL Reniaa...you are the one doing what you are complaining of right here. LOL We are not anti-witnesses. We are former witnessed who have been awakened from the mind-control cult that you have yet to wake up from. So, you looking thru your WT glasses can only see it the way the wt has told you to see it.

• tifalafa
    tifalafa

Very seldom at a get-together will you hear "spiritual talk" going on--yeah, you hear about plans to auxiliary and other stuff like that- but not about anything spiritually enlightening, upbuilding, nothing like the Jesus talk that you hear from Born Agains, and definitely nothing like bringing the scriptures out to make a point, that would just seem to be too boring for people and you probably wouldn't get invited to very many get-togethers if you had a reputation to be a brother or sister looking for a pulpit to make spiritual points. At this last get-together I went with a dozen or so people there the talk was about how long our life expectancy would be based on our genetics, and from our family history compared to environment, nobody, not one person said they didn't worry about such things because they'd be living in paradise soon. I noticed this but didn't speak up, I did feel like I should have shamed a few people by saying something just to be mean, but I caught myself and didn't say anything. It was better that way, anyway.

• still_in74
    still_in74

you may be in my congregation. It is the one "blessing" i have - to be in a cong where no one speaks of the bible, watchtower, new system, nothing!

In 3 years I have yet to hear the old "are'nt we so lucky to have the truth" speach or "did you read the lates watchtower??"

Back in the day this was always the case - but back in the day dubs were trying to pin-point the time and the hour with 1914, the generation, the # of annointed, etc. Now that is all gone! The only thing in the Watchtower to talk about now is to listen without question or thinking. Just do what your told for the rest of your life cause your gonna die in this system just like your parents have.

Not even super-dubs dont wanna talk about the WT cause even super-dubs think they sound like cult-followers when they parrot the Neo-WT legal dept. BS

• undercover
    undercover

back in the day dubs were trying to pin-point the time and the hour with 1914, the generation, the # of annointed, etc.

I remember those days. There was always some kind of speculation going on. There was a sense of urgency or at least a sense of being in at the end of something. Like the last few days of school before summer vacation.

Then it all fizzled out. Later the Society started to discourage independant thinking. They even counseled against getting together to study publications together, nore than a family or two together. The Society, through its fear of having people awaken from the failed expectations, sought to control their thoughts and ended up having it backfire in that other, more sensational things occupied their hearts and minds.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

BonaFide,

I've noticed it as well. Consider that they are all working towards the same goal - surviving Armaggedon into a Paradise earth - you would think that would be worth discussing as it forms the backbone of their beliefs, but no, noone talks about anything spiritual.

I mean, I know they hear it five times a week but you would think someone might dare to speculate.

I remember the counsel we would often hear, "brothers and sisters, are you reaching out for the real life?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit