Drinking issues, alcoholism and ex JW's

by digderidoo 10 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I got talking to my mother yesterday about my alcoholism issues and slightly touched upon how my JW past has had a bearing on it.

She was telling me about a lady who cuts my Nan's hair who turns out is an ex jw and we know her family. Apparently this lady drinks heavily and every day, at the same time is angry about her JW past and the way she's treated by family even though sh'es not df'ed.

We had a small chat about my alcoholism and that i could relate to this lady.

Anyway it got me realising that there are a number here who have similar issues, so i would like to post this link.

http://www.soberrecovery.c om/forums/

It's a forum that covers addiction in general, it has helped me loads. It helps when AA doesn't, it also helps as a compliment to AA. There is a secular forum on there for those who have issues with AA and the God/higher power stuff, but it also has forums for those who go to AA.

I'd recommend anyone who thinks they may have a drink problem to take a peek.

Personally i'm now 11 months sober and about to finish my first year of my LLB law degree.

Paul

• AlexHall
    AlexHall

Congratz for realizing you have a drinking problem. And that you have done something to conquer it! 11months and going strong is really good!

Take care, I wish you all the luck!

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

BTTT

• blondie
    blondie

What's LLB mean, dig?

Congrats on 11 months.

This is an atheistic area and AA has adjusted to that.

Thanks for sharing alternative support resources.

Blondie

• snowbird
    snowbird

Congratulations.

Sylvia

• StAnn
    StAnn

Congrats, Dig!

St. Ann

• cluless
    cluless

Alex Hall (My fellow swede) In my observation Your posts to this site are so sincere. Appeciated your first post keep them coming.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

What's LLB mean, dig?

I't latin for Bachelor of Laws blondie. I got the following from wiki,

The "LL." of the abbreviation for the degree is from the genitive plural legum (of lex, legis f., law), thus "LL.B." stands for Legum Baccalaureus in Latin

It's basically the qualifying degree that all barristers and solicitors in England and Wales must take before they get their vocational training.

I haven't really got practicing law as a goal, but would like to get into teaching or research. It opens up doors for many things, the degree i'm doing is the oldest LLB in the country with London Uni, i've even got an option of studying at Cambridge for a week each year, which is unbelievable considering i was a homeless drunk 6 years ago.

Paul

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life
    She was telling me about a lady who cuts my Nan's hair who turns out is an ex jw and we know her family. Apparently this lady drinks heavily and every day, at the same time is angry about her JW past and the way she's treated by family even though sh'es not df'ed.

I can relate to this woman too. I've been sober for coming up on 18 years. I went to AA. It worked for me. But people should find whatever group works for them. I hope this woman can find the strength and support to quit her drinking. I still struggle with the anger about my JW past and what it did to my family. I was never baptized or disfellowshipped.

• chickpea
    chickpea

a couple from the KH i attended
    are also faders (AFAIK) and the
    word i hear from non-JW sources
    is that their lives have become
    an alcohol-hazed nightmare
    of bitterness and lovelessness...

really sorry to have learned
    of their disintegration....

you, sir, on the other hand.....
    bravo! well done!!!