Why don't JW's go to the apostates and prove them wrong as Jesus did?

by moomanchu 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chalam
    Chalam

Modern computers have opened other avenues to bad association. Some commercial firms enable subscribers using a computer and a telephone to send a message to electronic bulletin boards; a person can thus post on the bulletin board a message that is open to all subscribers. This has led to so-called electronic debates on religious matters. A Christian might be drawn into such debates and may spend many hours with an apostate thinker who may have been disfellowshipped from the congregation . The direction at 2 John 9-11 underscores Paul’s fatherly counsel about avoiding bad associations.

Looks like they ignore Jesus' words once again.

Matthew 9:9-13 (New International Version)
    9 As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow me," he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.

10 While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" came and ate with him and his disciples. 11 When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?"

12 On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Or Paul's direction here

1 Corinthians 5:9-10 (New International Version)

9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world.

Also here

1 Corinthians 10:27 (English Standard Version)

27 If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience.

All the best,

Stephen

• Mary
    Mary
    w93 8/1 p.16 par.9 Let No One Spoil Your Useful Habits "....Many people will debate for hours, week after week, but not because they are seeking truth. They just want to undermine another's faith while flaunting their own supposed education in Hebrew, Greek, or evolutionary science. When encountering them, some Witnesses have felt challenged and have wound up having extended association centered on false religious belief, philosophy, or scientific error. It is noteworthy that Jesus did not let that happen to him, though he could have won debates with religious leaders who were schooled in Hebrew or Greek. When challenged, Jesus replied briefly and then turned his attention again to humble ones, the real sheep."-Matthew 22:41-46; 1 Corinthians 1:23-2:2.

Free Smiley FaceFree Smiley FaceFree Smiley Face

Oh brother......This is yet another typical example of the ignorance of the WTS when it comes to the historical, religious culture of the 1st Century. Rabbinic discourse was (and is to this day), characterized by argumentation and debate. Thats what they've been doing for over 2,000 years and this practice was certainly no different when Jesus and the Pharisees would get into these heated debates. As a learned Jew himself who started teaching his elders in the temple at the tender age of 12, does anyone actually believe the bonehead idea that Jesus never got into theological debates with the Pharisees? Of course he did! The NT is filled with examples of when he debated with them on various things like the resurrection, shunning, the Law of Moses, who He was, the Kingdom, what eternal salvation was all about, divorce, riches.....the list is endless. And of course we all know that this just pissed the Pharisees off royally because after all----they had "the Truth" didn't they? How DARE anyone question them.

And as for the statement that those who want to debate 'only want to undermind someone else's faith'----well, what exactly are Jehovah's Witnesses doing when they go banging on strangers' doors? Are they not there to undermind the person's faith?

I think I'll keep this in mind the next time someone comes knocking at my door. Free Smiley Face

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit