Should I renew my Norton subscription?

by frozen one 34 Replies latest jw friends

• frozen one
    frozen one

My Norton security sub exprires in a couple of weeks. I've heard a lot of negatives about Norton mostly about the resources Norton gobbles up which slows down everything else. My computer does seem to be be a bit pokey at times. Would dropping Norton improve performance? What should I switch to? Any advice would be appreciated.

• viva
    viva

I am not a tech person, but I consulted the IT staff at work when my McAffee was about to expire. They told me Norton and McAffee are bulky programs that slow down your computer, and reccomended AVG free. I have been using AVG for over a year now with no problems and my computer is much faster on startup.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Norton has done nothing but screw up my systems (3 in the past). I won't touch it.

Use AVG or Comodo.

Yiz

• purplesofa
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I've done well with Norton.

Here is what I do instead of paying for the subscription:

Go to Fry's electronics and they almost always have Norton there for Free or $9.99. The only catch is you have to be diligent about processing all of the rebates.

I've done this the last three years and have never paid full price.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I have a new computer, it came with Norton's free trial, about to expire, so I have a decision to make. I haven't experienced a slow down since I clicked "yes" to the free trial, but this new computer is incredibly fast so if it is a bit slower I doubt I'd have noticed.

On my old computer, I used the free AVG download recommended by purplelsofa, and it worked fine. That's what I plan to use when Norton expires.

purps: Thanks for the link, save me looking it up!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

It used to be true that the consumer version of Norton Antivirus was horrible. And it used to be true that AVG was sleek and fast.

Not any more.

Norton Antivirus 2009 was rewritten from the ground-up and is amazingly fast and efficient. And AVG has started to bulk up tremendously since version 8.

I highly recommend you go with Norton Antivirus 2009. Don't bother with Norton Internet Security 2009; you don't need all that extra crap. You only need antivirus/antispyware.

Don't renew your subscription with Norton unless it will get you the latest version (2009). You may be better off just buying a new boxed copy at Costco or something.

Again...only get plain Norton Antivirus 2009!

• yknot
    yknot

Norton's seriously messed with my mom's computer....

So why not go to a site like cnet.com and download trial subscriptions every 15 days..... that way it is free.

I like AVG and ZoneAlarm the best but my hubby swears by McAfee.

• Simon
    Simon

I don't use any and haven't for years - they usually caused lots of problems and slowed down the system so much that you may as well just have a virus!

Also, I don't think that they really provide that much protection.

Common sense, being careful what you download and run and what emails you open is enough with an occassional online scan from the likes of Trend security.

I haven't had a virus since I stopped using Norton (but I did when I used it ...)

• Simon
    Simon

Oh, and make sure you regularly patch your machine with all updates of course

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit