What is the Truth? How do you Define it?

by Amazing 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

JWs teach that 'accurate knowledge' is the definition of truth. They add to this by saying that the 'conduct' of average church goers also identifies them as not being in the 'truth.' And, they define their 'organization' as being the Truth, because they are a clean people who are doing right works, and teaching accurately. They define what they consider correct doctrine, no trinity, no hell, no soul, no heaven for most people, no birthday cake, no voting, no politics, no war, no blood, no association outside the religion, no sassing the Elders, no sports, no school dances, and no smoking.

Ex-JWs sometimes impose variations of this definition upon other religions ... especially Catholicism ... where one can enjoy a piece of B-day cake, have a drink, and enjoy a fine cigar ... and those funny dressed Bishops, and the Catholic Church does this or that or whatever ... and don't forget the Inquisition ... and there you have it ... Catholics do not have the truth either.

Some Christians define Jesus as the Truth (according to Jesus own words - good) and thus reject all Churches. They in effect become their own Pope of a Church of One Person. What does Jesus being the truth mean about truth? How is Jesus the Truth?

Catholics define truth as Jesus - he is the way, the truth and the life ... and what that means to a Catholic is that all Jesus did and said that he taught orally, and passed on to the Apostles, who in turn passed on the same oral teaching and tradition to the disciples. Jesus gave the Apostles authority (not to rule or lord it over) but to pass on the sacraments and his teachings. Catholics make mistakes, sin, and do both good and some do harm ... Catholics do not claim to be more than human sinners, and the Church is where most fine healing.

Aside from Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy, no other churches can trace their tradition back to the early Church (The Apostles) in this way. Most non-Catholic Churches simply refer to the Bible as their sole and central foundation. We see how the Catholic and Orthodox faiths have remain essentially unchanged and united ... whereas the 'Bible" oriented Churches and Individuals, have all gone off in all sorts of directions ... and we see the extremes found in groups like the JWs.

Catholics do accept that elements of the Christian faith is found in the various non-Catholic churches ... and that the salvation of individual Christians in various Churches, including the JWs, and Mormons, Adventists, and others, is dependant upon God and the individual's faith in Christ ... notwithstanding, the liturgy, sacramental validity, and teaching of non-Catholic churches is not complete ... not necessarily false, just incomplete.

What say you? What is truth to you ... how do you define truth ... does it even matter to you?

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

IMO, truth and religion should not be in the same sentance.

nj

• garybuss
    garybuss

What is the Truth? How do you Define it?

Reality.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Reality.

Exactly.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Define "reality" ... what is it? And why should it be considered 'truth?' ... Are we possibly mixing science and religion? Can we not have faith-based, or religious-based 'truth' as something different than say, scientific 'truth' or courtroom 'truth' ... are we confusing 'truth' with 'facts.'

Facts gives us information ... interpretation of facts leads to scientific theory ... or courtroom proof of the truth ... or philosophical truth.

If truth is 'reality' than is not Jesus Christ, God the ultimate reality?

What say you?

• journey-on
    journey-on

My definition is that truth is that which can only be found in bits and pieces. The whole Truth cannot be known because there is always something else unseen and indefinable within our current framework of knowledge. Truth is something that is revealed in increments like pieces of a huge puzzle that is constantly being formed anew. That which you can see, taste, touch, hear, or smell is just a very small part of what is real. Science has found bits and pieces that were once unknown and incomprehensible and did not fit into humanity's description of reality. So, both Truth and Reality are constantly being refined and redefined.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Out for an argument Amazing??? Truth in MY opinion is Jesus Christ.
    I believe he is the Creator. He is a GOD of LOVE!
    I dont believe all in the Bible. I believe MEN!!!! Like your self
    wanted followers & added a few things to make it "sound" as if we were
    following Jesus.
    Tell me a religion that hasnt caused problems. ANY RELIGION!!!??
    I realize I am a very poor excuse for a Christian.
    That is why HE died for me. Because HE knew I couldnt do it alone &
    needed HIM!!!! I do ! I have to ask forgiveness morning, noon ,& night
    Cos I am a great sinner. But he LOVES me.

• compound complex
    compound complex

A Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom

Thomas Jefferson

[...] truth is great and will prevail if left to herself; that she is the proper and sufficient antagonist to error,
    and has nothing to fear from the conflict unless by human interposition disarmed of her natural weapons,
    free argument and debate; errors ceasing to be dangerous when it is permitted freely to contradict them.

Not a definition of Truth per se but an acknowledgement that error [propaganda contrary to established fact?] must be contradicted.

CoCo's Still Learning

• Amazing
    Amazing

Mouthy ... the only difference between what you and I are saying is that your are a Christian, but have no particular affiliation with a denomination ... and I affiliate with the Catholic Church ... I have no disagreement with what you said ... no argument here.

CoCO ... very good indeed! I like the quote ... and it is very appropriate here. Thanks!

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

My definition is that truth is that which can only be found in bits and pieces. The whole Truth cannot be known because there is always something else unseen and indefinable within our current framework of knowledge. Truth is something that is revealed in increments like pieces of a huge puzzle that is constantly being formed anew. That which you can see, taste, touch, hear, or smell is just a very small part of what is real. Science has found bits and pieces that were once unknown and incomprehensible and did not fit into humanity's description of reality. So, both Truth and Reality are constantly being refined and redefined.

journey-on I really like your definition

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit