Did anyone see "Earth without people"?

by hubert 19 Replies latest jw friends

• hubert
    hubert

It was on the History channel Tuesday night.

If you kept in mind the J.W. theory of a "Paradise Earth", you'd see it would be absolutely impossible for 6 or 7 , even 20 million people to "Maintain" the earth to keep it in liveable condition, never mind a "Paradise Earth".

All that time I was watching it, I was hoping my daughter and son-in-law was looking at it, too. I wanted to call them and tell them about it, but I am not allowed to "talk about anything that has a religious agenda" for fear of losing them.

Did anyone else see it?

Hubert

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hubert,

Yes, I saw it ... my second viewing. It is good, though as noted, it is not a likely scenario, because the sudden disappearance of humans is unlikely. But, it was most interesting to show how the earth would be nearly impossible for the JWs to maintain for hundreds of years, until the population grew ... and if their 'no new borns' were true, then the 'general resurrection' would need to commence very soon after Armageddon. Most of the resurrected population would not be technically advanced ... and then, there are the old beliefs and ways, which would be impossible to tame by only a few million JWs. The so-called paradise would be hell on earth.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Actually, I thought that the "instant" disappearance of people was a sly reference to the "Rapture", and how the planet would breathe a sigh of relief after all those self-righteous a**holes vanished!! Zid

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Yup I saw it and had the same thoughts and feelings as you. I asked my brother (super dub elder) what he thought about it and he told me that he has trust in Jehoover that the earth will be turned into a paradise, Jehoover will take care of it all. He told me that if I only had "faith" that I wouldn't worry about such things. I had to laugh because I don't worry about "such things".

Can you say delusional?

nj

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

I saw it too - good stuff. I really loved the show before it - NOSTRADAMUS - 2012! Did anybody see that??

I've been wondering...with all the natural disasters, financial woes, etc., how in heck will anyone know it is the 'day of Jehovah' when things really start to go sour? We're all getting pretty used to hearing about some fiasco somewhere pretty well 24/7, when the big one hits, it could be anything, so I'm wondering whether anyone will think of anything as an ACT OF GOD at that point? Anyone think that way as well, or is it just me?

• villabolo
    villabolo

Unfortunately I don't have cable TV but I read the book and went on their web site and I enjoyed it very much. That is my idea of paradise.

And I disagree about its not being liveable. Several hundred thousand organized people in a time frame of a thousand years can make it liveable one step at a time by concentrating their numbers in one region thereby focusing their efforts. If their numbers double every thirty years, either through birth or "resurection", there will be 32,768 times the original number in 15 generations or 450 years (Hope my calculator is working right). That comes out to billions and billions.

It would all be a matter of how quickly each generation can be taught basic gardening techniques and other forms of self sufficiency and thirty years seems sufficient.

None of this is meant to justify the JW millenial delusion which simply is not going to happen but if a major catastrophe were to occur human resilience and imagination could overcome it.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

They're starting a series on Tuesdays called "Life After People". http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people

I find it fascinating... but I'd rather see a series "Life After JW".

B the X

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Yes,it was a good program..There is no way 6.5 million Jws are going to be living in a paradise if only "they" survive armagedon.....Planet Earth is just too dam big!!.....Things will decay faster than they can repair them.. Swinging Monkey No electricity,running water..Ect,ect,ect.............. Jehovah`s Witness will be hiding in Kingdom Halls..Waiting for Jehovah to save them,from the wild animals outside that want to eat them!!.. Gorilla Gorilla Gorilla ............................................................. Monkey Kiss ..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• hubert
    hubert

Billy, thanks for correcting me. I had the title wrong, but I think people caught the jist of my topic. I tried to find the correct title but didn't find it, so I guessed at it. (Wrong guess).

But, that's the show I saw last night.

Hubert

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Just watched it on Google video, once I figured out that it is called "Life After People." Fascinating stuff for a hypothetical scenario. In all reality though, I think it highly unlikely that all humans would simply die off simultaneously. Difficult as the future may be for humanity, and that includes the possibility of a major die off, human life and civilization in some form will go on for thousands more years.

When I started getting into "doomer" material on the internet back in 2005, I began to realize what amateurs the WTBTS really were in this area. I think it was healthy for me to go through this phase because it helped me to get a grasp on the temporary nature of all things natural and man made. One of the greater myths of our modern culture is that the "empire lasts forever," a belief that groups like Jehovah's Witnesses exploit along with utopian fantasies (Live forever on paradise earth in God's empire, anyone?) to gain followers.

Whereas religious groups rely on ancient texts (Bible) for their authority in the eyes of some people, modern doomers look to the internet, documentaries, and some scientific studies (Final Empire (Koetke), Limits to Growth, "The End of Suburbia," DieOff.org, etc.). However, I feel that some of the more prominent doomers have moderated their approach as time passed as a result of healthy debate (theOilDrum.com). Personally, I am looking at the future with an open ended sense of curiosity. No matter what happens, I just want to live as long and healthy a life as a human can. The only thing I know for a certainty is that there will be no Biblical "End Of The World As We Know It."

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit