What I love about "worldly" Bibles

by civicsi00 24 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

The Message Bible rocks!

Sylvia

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I always find it hard to find my place in them, and even now the wording of the NWT is what I know ..

One time when I was young I was in the ministry and used a scripture in Phillipians chap 2 to disprove the trinity. It said that J C gave no consideration to a seizure,of being equal with God.. The woman fetched her bible and it sais completely different. to the effect that that he thought it not robbery to be equal with God.

i was embarrassed , having assured her that our bibles were just the same as any other , only in modern English...i now know that this verse is a classic of NWT "original thinking " in the translation ...

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

The times I could find what I was looking for the passage wouldn't support the argument I was making.

It seems that I was well versed in using the NWT, but not the bible itself. So much for being part of a "bible educational" work. My "proof texting" relied entirely on the JW version of the bible.

No surprises there! This says it all.

Timothy 3:5-7 (New International Version)

5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.

6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth.

The words of Jesus will never appear in the NWT. The WT do not want to draw attention to Jesus but "Jehovah". Maybe they will put the Father's words in a colour though?

All the best,

Stephen

• snowbird
    snowbird
    The WT do not want to draw attention to Jesus but "Jehovah".

That is so true, but isn't it ironic that in putting all the emphasis on Jehovah they are unwittingly bearing witness to Jesus, because Jehovah is Jesus?

As Job 5:13 and 1 Corinthians 3:19 say, "He catches the wise in their own craftiness."

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    The words of Jesus will never appear in the NWT.

Appear = red fonts?

The WT do not want to draw attention to Jesus but "Jehovah". Maybe they will put the Father's words in a colour though?

Precisely my point about "red-type" Bibles. From a Trinitarian perspective, why don't they use colours (three or one) for direct speech by "God" or the "Holy Ghost" (in Acts) as well?

Or would that be problematic to the idea that the whole text (not just words ascribed to the speaker "God") is "God's Word"?

• Chalam
    Chalam

That is so true, but isn't it ironic that in putting all the emphasis on Jehovah they are unwittingly bearing witness to Jesus, because Jehovah is Jesus?

I feel an imminent post by possible-san ;)

Precisely my point about "red-type" Bibles. From a Trinitarian perspective, why don't they use colours (three or one) for direct speech by "God" or the "Holy Ghost" (in Acts) as well?

Of course the Trinitarian view is that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are God, not just the Father.

Could be nice to have the three primary colours for God's words. After all, He is light.

John 9:5

John 1:4

All the best,

Stephen

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Hmm, using 3 different colours (for the Father, Son, HS) wouldn't be a bad idea! Is there such a Bible out there? I wonder...

I'd always been under the impression that, post-ascension, He had humans speak for Him. That little shocker started me on the road to questioning the validity of the FDS.

Snowbird- One of the texts that I noticed (and contradicts the idea of the "FDS") was this one from Hebrews 1:1, 2:

"In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe." (NIV) (emphasis mine)

To me, if there were such a "faithful and discreet slave" class of people in the 1st century, this would have been the PERFECT opportunity to point it out. But we see that in order to approach God, we must go through Jesus.

It sad to see how JW's truly believe (and most of us did here, too) that they "know" the Bible. But they only know whatever the WT has deceived them to know. And it's been twisted out of context to the point that a JW has to use WT magazines to explain what they believe.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Elsewhere said: I'm going to go find some of my favorite books and highlight the dialog of my favorite characters.Luke.... I am your father.

Nooooooooo!!!!!

That seriously cracked me up!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Could be nice to have the three primary colours for God's words. After all, He is light.

Hmmm ... the colors in the Tabernacle?

It sad to see how JW's truly believe (and most of us did here, too) that they "know" the Bible.

When I was going dtd with my NWT, you couldn't have told me that I wasn't a foremost Bible authority!

How deluded I was.

Sylvia

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

The red text Bible is great for this passage;

Revelation 22:12 "Behold I am coming soon..." is Jesus, but the NWT has the next verse coming from the mouth of Jehovah because it refers to the Alpha and the Omega.

In the red text Bibles, verse 12 and 13 are all in red.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit