The Tale of Desperaux's Mouse Council = Body of Elders...

by tsar_robles 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tsar_robles
    tsar_robles

lol... has any one seen this film, or at least the following scene?

Despereaux a tiny mouse with enormously large ears is born. He is considered odd for a mouse, displaying incredible bravery. But in this mouse society, fear is taught in school as a mouse necessity, and those that cannot learn to fear are considered outcasts. Despereaux's parents attempt to teach him fear by having him explore the castle's library with his older brother “showing him the ropes”. But rather than being fearful he is fascinated with books (non jw books), and instead of eating (jw world: throwing) them, decides to read them despite his brother's orders. He develops a fascination toward fairy tales and learns the knight's code of honor such as chivalry and courage from them.

Upon finding out that Despereaux has broken the (WT) law by speaking with a human (Princess Pea), his family say:

Mouse Dad: "We need to tell them, We need to tell the Mouse Council"

Mouse Mom: "But they'll...

Mouse Dad: "This is bad, this is very bad..."

Mouse Dad: If they find out that they didn't find out, oh, then they'll find out that it was me who, oh no..."

Mouse Mom: "But they will send him to the dungeon!"

Mouse sibling: "Oh, he'll get eaten by rats!"

Mouse Dad: Oh, no!, not if we beg!, If we really BEG and show them he's changed... that's he's afraid and he's turned into a real MOUSE!"

Thus, his family tells on him and then we see Desperaux reading a forbidden book and at that moment the mouse council members catch him in the act and ask him:

Mouse council: "How long have you been working on this book?"

Desperaux: "Hmm... a week?... I just wanted to see how it ends.."

[Then the mouse council proceeds to take him to the center of mousetown to judge and punish him in front of the mouse crowd...]

(CROWD MURMURING)

Mouse Council Inquisitor: "Refused training as a mouse... refused to respect the will and guidance of elder mice... Repeatedly engaged in bold and un-meek behavior..."

Mouse Mom: "Isn't there something you can do??"

Mouse Dad: "Antoinette, stop right now! Stop that. You have to trust THEM. They are the COUNCIL. They are the COUNCIL because... Because they are the Council. They're the Council..."

Mouse Council: "Isn't there anything you wish to say in your defense?"

Desperaux: "Well, it was a very good story..."

Mouse Council: "Desperaux Tilling: Our Laws are here to protect US and OUR WAY of life. And when one of our citizens (members) strays from that way of life, he becomes a THREAT to us all. It's an easy question... are you a man (human being) or are you a mouse (jw)?

Mouse Council continues: "And your actions have told us that you have a great deal of trouble being a mouse. It is the judgment of this (kangaroo) court that you should be banished from these walls forever!"

The Mouse Council immediately then proceeds to banish (disfellowship) him to the dungeons...

No doubt Desperaux was a very brave and open minded little mouse, as he did not let these clowns affect his picture or vision of what was 'out there'...

tsar

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I read the book...in a day. I really enjoyed it. The Mouse Council did resemble a body of elders.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Great observation!

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

tsar_robles, you had the same reaction to that scene as I did when I watched the movie for the first time last night. I just searched the archives to see if anybody else had posted about it.

We have the book in the house--my girls have all read it, but I had not. So the movie and story were "fresh" to me, and I couldn't help but notice the similarities to the JW way of thinking, about not crossing certain lines and being considered an outsider if you would not conform, even if you were doing nothing wrong.

Thanks for your post about this!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit