Last weeks Watchtower study - only Jesus & 144k "inherit the earth" ??

by yadda yadda 2 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

"How Jesus' Sayings Promote Happiness". - Watchtower Study, April 12, 2009

9. Why are the mild-tempered ones happy? Because "they will inherit the earth," said mild-tempered Jesus. He is the principal Inheritor of the earth. (Ps. 2:8; Matt. 11:29; Heb. 2:8, 9) However, mild-tempered "joint heirs with Christ" share in his inheritance of the earth. (Rom. 8:16, 17) In the earthly realm of Jesus' Kingdom, many other meek ones will enjoy everlasting life.--Ps. 37:10, 11.

It almost seems here that the Watchtower is saying that only Jesus and the 144k technically "inherit the earth" (Matthew 5:5)?

Bizarre.

• sspo
    sspo

I find it interesting that's the only place where anything is said about inheriting the earth.

Same chapter Jesus mentioned over and over again about going to heaven.

None of the apostles in all of the other books said anything about living on earth.

• booby
    booby

very interesting point. hope more will comment. I don't quite get it.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

That's always been their teaching, although they don't advertise it very often, hence I was surprised to see it in last week's Tower.

I wonder how many of the R&F raised their eyebrows at the thought that a scripture they may have used in the ministry to 'prove' a paradise earth for right-hearted people is actually only applied to the 144,001.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Watchtower 8/1, 1959:

Jesus here applied the expression "mild-tempered" or "meek" to his disciples of that time who were in line for the heavenly kingdom. He was the chief meek one among them and their example. Hebrews 1:1, 2 and 2:5, 6 show that Jesus inherits the earth or takes over the possession of it. His disciples were made his joint heirs in the Kingdom and enter into this inheritance or possession of the earth with him. Hence Matthew 5:5 does not strictly apply to the "other sheep." However, it has been quoted in connection with them and properly so because they must be meek or mild-tempered ones in imitation of Jesus Christ, and it is only because of being such that they will be allowed to live on the earth in the new world. They do not take over possession of the earth any more than Adam did in the garden of Eden, but Matthew 5:5 can nevertheless be given a general application in that they hold the earth in trust for the chief Heir, the Lord Jesus Christ. To this extent they enter into an inheritance. They enjoy the realm of the King. As Jesus said in the parable of the sheep and goats: "Come, you who have my Father’s blessing, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the world’s foundation." (Matt. 25:34) So it is not wrong to use this scripture in a general sense in speaking of the blessings that await the "other sheep" in the new world.

10/15, 1991:

Jesus pronounced the mild-tempered happy because they will inherit the earth. As the perfectly mild-tempered Son of God, Jesus is the Chief Inheritor of the earth. (Psalm 2:8; Matthew 11:29; Hebrews 1:1, 2; 2:5-9) But as the Messianic "son of man," he was to have associate rulers in his heavenly Kingdom. (Daniel 7:13, 14, 22, 27) As Christ’s "joint heirs," these anointed mild-tempered ones will share in his inheritance of the earth. (Romans 8:17) Other mild-tempered, sheeplike people will enjoy eternal life in Paradise in the Kingdom’s earthly realm. (Matthew 25:33, 34, 46; Luke 23:43) That prospect makes them happy indeed.

Seems the writers are very lazy these days...

• Borgia
    Borgia

Well......what's new.......In the parable about him being in prison and those at the right side having visited him he says: inherit the kingdom.....because the WT applies this to the other sheep......the conclusion may be that the other sheep ARE in fact joint heirs wih Christ and therefore brothers......and therefore part of spiritual Israel and therefore should partake......

Quite confusing that WT theology......I sure have to keep up with their flickering light

Cheers

Borgia

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Tricky WTheology:

"Inherit the kingdom" (klèronomein basileian) is "Other sheep"-only in Matthew 25:34; "anointed"-only in 1 Corinthians 15:50; everybody in 1 Corinthians 6:9f; Galatians 5:21...

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Borgia, flickering is a good way to describe their teachings. For as much as I thought I knew, this one totally got past me. I mean the other sheep MUST inherit the earth. "We" were going to live there after all. To think anything else seems ludicrous. Further as mentioned they DID use Matt 25:34 with regard to the other sheep. It almost seems like they are so interested in writing stuff and getting it out the door they don't check things for consistency. I mean at least get the story straight. Everything is so ad hoc with them. Then they're stuck having to make this stuff work. It also seems that lately they've been swinging toward the conservative side again and explicitly mentioning things that for a long time were assumed. Like the marriage vow being subordinate to the dedication vow Flipper posted recently.

I also wonder what the "other sheep" NOT inheriting the earth has to do with "promoting happiness" as the title implies. Most of their audience are "other sheep".

• Haelcer
    Haelcer

w034/1p.25par.20Exhibit“AllMildnessTowardAllMen”***

Abundant blessings are in store for all who exhibit mildness. “Happy are the mild-tempered ones,” Jesus declared, “since they will inherit the earth.” (Matthew 5:5) For Christ’s spirit-anointed brothers, maintaining mildness ensures their happiness and the privilege of ruling over the earthly domain of the Kingdom. As for the “great crowd” of “other sheep,” they continue to manifest mildness and look forward to life in Paradise here on earth. (Revelation 7:9; John 10:16; Psalm 37:11)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit