About the "but it's run by imperfect men" argument.

by SPAZnik 31 Replies latest jw friends

• yesidid
    yesidid

The Watchtower Society could take a lesson from the Catholic Church.

Wow

It does and has.

Didn't the WBTS borrow it's business plan from the Catholic Church?

They saw how well the subjugation of the masses by a figurehead worked, and they copied it.

They have a few variations, but basically it's the same business plan.

yesidid

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I remember hearing this argument when a couple of elders called on me, and I pointed out all the errors and failed prophecies. My response was that the bible was written by imperfect men, yet they consider that to be infallible. If god were truly using them in the same way he used the bible writers, their record would be the same. They had no response.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Excellent point keyser soze. I will remember it.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Catholics persecuted Galileo because he said the Earth was not the center of the universe -- This proves Catholisim is a false religion.

Russell taught that by measuring the length of passageways in the Great Pyramid of Giza you could decipher Bible prophecy -- Oh that's just imperfect men making mistakes

• avishai
    avishai

Spook, here's a quote for you

God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks, please. Cash and in small bills. [Robert Heinlein, Notebooks of Lazarus Long]

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

"imperfect men" who publish statements like this:

"Respond to the directions of the organization as you would the voice of God" (The Watchtower, June 15th 1957 Issue, Page 370)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    ....the bible was written by imperfect men, yet they consider that to be infallible. If god were truly using them in the same way he used the bible writers, their record would be the same.

Holey sheet.

I never thought of that one. I will use it to try and kick start a few brain cells.

Thanks keyser

Chris

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The "imperfect men" argument by itself is not really that bad. The "secret society" I joined to slap the Washtowel Slaveholdery in the face is also run by imperfect men.

The difference is what happens if the organization makes a mistake and the members see it. The "secret society" actually encourages members to find the flaws in it and improve it--I found a couple, but they were generally very minor problems in an otherwise sound organization. They do create more value than costs--which is what I define a good organization is. By contrast, the witless organization doesn't allow any criticism, not even in minor issues. That allows a Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger class to develop at the top of that organization, creating self-serving doctrines. The result is that the cost of being in that organization exceeds any benefit. And that is why I bash them, not because they make mistakes.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Catholics persecuted Galileo because he said the Earth was not the center of the universe -- This proves Catholisim is a false religion.

Russell taught that by measuring the length of passageways in the Great Pyramid of Giza you could decipher Bible prophecy -- Oh that's just imperfect men making mistakes

neverendingjourney, great comparison.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

"imperfect men" who publish statements like this:

"Respond to the directions of the organization as you would the voice of God" (The Watchtower, June 15th 1957 Issue, Page 370)

Yeah, LUKEWARM , totally. This reminds me of another pet peeve of mine about the dubs. That Jesus never gave consideration to a seizure, namely, being equal to god, certainly hasn't stopped the "governing body" from doing so in many ways. Grrr. Maddening.

S.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit