Need some help on renovation costs

by sinis 2 Replies latest jw friends

• sinis
    sinis

... or at least a rough ballpark figure. I am looking at an older house and although it is nice from the outside, brick home, it needs lots of work on the inside. I would like to get a feel before proceeding any further.

House was built in 1973. Here are some things that I found off the top:

1. Has no central HVAC
    2. Popcorn ceiling would have to be scraped off
    3. Needs new carpet in three bedrooms, living room and dining room.
    4. Single pane windows ~8 in total.
    5. Needs new painting on inside and outside trim/carport
    6. Kitchen cabinets and counter tops need replacing - kitchen is not that big - kitchen stove looks to be good, may need a new frig.
    7. bathroom fixtures, shower, toilet, sink, and cabinets need replacing, and possibly tile.
    8. 1970's wall paneling in a couple rooms would have to be pulled and walls painted.

The house is 1995 sq feet. Roof looks good - would have to wait to hear what inspector says if I proceed that far, as would the septic system. What would a rough guess for materials and labor be if these things were replaced, not with top end stuff but nice modern items. Some things I, or my family who are in the line of work could possibly do, but I would like to hear a worse case, best case price scenario if possible. Thanks!!!!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The following would be my estimates with work being done by contractors (except for buying the refrigerator):

1. Central air (including ductwork) .... 5,000

2. Popcorn ceiling .... why not just "re-popcorn" the bad spots and repaint it ... 1,000

3. Carpeting installed .... 1,200

4. Windows (replace with double pane) .... 350 or so each .... 3,000 total

5. Painting .... 1,500

6. Kitchen Cabinets (just replace the doors and trim) and new countertop ... 1,500

7. Refrigerator .... 600

8. Bathroom (installed) .... 4,000

9. Walls (sheetrock and then repainted) .... 1,500

10. Upgrade electric (since you are tearing out some walls) ... 1,000

11. Inspection fee .... 200 (to give to the guy inspecting the work so he will inspect faster)

Rub a Dub

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

sinis - Im releatively new here, so mind me if there are details about yourself that I am unaware of. But; hello.

also, i still only have limited posts, so replies to this will be through edits on this post. Sorry, but thanks for bearing with me.

I am involved with construction, and work with interiors. Speaking straight up with you, you have a larger house. No one here will be able to give you an accurate estimation. It is an exercise in futility. I say this with experience.

Its my contention that you have limited experience. There are MANY factors that are going to affect your final outcome. These factors are best handled by a professional contractor. I say this, because the plans that you have, are extensive. Another factor that has to be taken into consideration is where you live, and how big and busy it is around your area. With the realization of there being such a slowdown in the US right now, now may well be a good time to get some of this work done, as there will be some healthy competition between contractors in getting this done for a competetive price.

What line of work you and your family are in, does weigh heavily into this as well. But, I really just wanted to warn you that it's terrible getting in over your head without experience, as it often costs more to get someone in to fix things.

One room is one thing, but a whole house is "different cabbage" altogether.

good luck. lurk3r

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit