We're not a cult because we don't have communes

by carla 38 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

renia, then leave your family (for christ), it's in the scriptures.!

your everlasting life depends on it

• The Berean
    The Berean

COMMUNE: noun, ME from Communion

"A small group of persons living together, sharing possessions, work, income,etc., and often pursuing unconventional lifestyles." Source: Dictionary.com

The prosecution rests ...

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

@ Reniaa

Since you haven't bothered to respond to the other thread about Jesus identity in relation to the wts teachings ,why come on here and start making negative comparisons this time using Jesus to defend the wts non-cult status claim?

Perhaps you could look at the points below and consider them.

I have personal experience of all these points as I was in the wts all my life. Are you going to call me a liar?

Here a few simple rules for cult identification.

Does it restrict the flow of information to members?

Does it treat ex-members badly?

Does it harm or cause people to die by following it's edicts?

Does it have a vested financial interest in members remaining in it?

Does it recruit "new members" (not many people don't just wander in to a cult)

Does the wts fit the bill?

H.K.

• reniaa
    reniaa

ok hobo i'll answer your questions but with my original point.

Does it restrict the flow of information to members?

1 John 4:1
    Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many falseprophets have gone out into the world

Does it treat ex-members badly?

1 Corinthians 5:13
    God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

Does it harm or cause people to die by following it's edicts?

Luke 14:26 (New International Version)

26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.

Does it have a vested financial interest in members remaining in it?

Mark 14:4-6 (New International Version)

4 Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, "Why this waste of perfume? 5 It could have been sold for more than a year's wages [a] and the money given to the poor." And they rebuked her harshly.

6 "Leave her alone," said Jesus. "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me.

Does it recruit "new members" (not many people don't just wander in to a cult)

Acts 8:26-36 (New International Version)

Philip and the Ethiopian

26 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, "Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza." 27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian [ a ] eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians. This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the book of Isaiah the prophet. 29 The Spirit told Philip, "Go to that chariot and stay near it."

30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Philip asked.

31 "How can I," he said, "unless someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

32 The eunuch was reading this passage of Scripture:
    "He was led like a sheep to the slaughter,
    and as a lamb before the shearer is silent,
    so he did not open his mouth.
    33 In his humiliation he was deprived of justice.
    Who can speak of his descendants?
    For his life was taken from the earth." [ b ]

34 The eunuch asked Philip, "Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?" 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?" [ c ]

• Colton
    Colton

How many hours you putting down on your timeslip today, Reniaa?

• shamus100
    shamus100

Still not disfellowshipped yet eh, Reinna? You're the worst Jehovahs Witness there is - you're shameful.

You are right, though. Congrats! The 1st century christians were like a cult. And it was bullshit too.

See? You're slowly learning. Keep thinking outside that box even if it's just for a nano-second.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    1 John 4:1
    Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many falseprophets have gone out into the world

Wise words indeed.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Reniaa - what shamus100 said... If you're REALLY a good Jehovah's Witness, then you must - MUST - go to your local elders' committee and tell them ALL ABOUT every post you've ever made on this website. Be sure to emphasize how you're witnessing to we apostates as you spend hours of your time, daily, in association with us while on the Internet....

Does the WTBTS approve of this website: http://e-jehovahs-witnesses.com/

They sound like they're more your speed. 'Course, you won't have that smug feeling of spiritual superiority while you're there... Zid

• shamus100
    shamus100

All these witnesses that come to this website only cements my belief that dubs are not the true religion. Thanks Reinna!

She probably won't comment on this thread anymore anyways. When she's cornered, she runs like a chicken or thinks people are persecuting her, and she starts ignoring.

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

@Reniaa

Is your 1st point in quoting 1john 4:1 meant to be that one needs to restrict the flow of information because the Bible says so?

In fact if you read the verse you will see that it says you must "TEST the inspired expression."...how can you do that if your organisation forbids you to even LOOK AT so called "apostate" material?

The wts does restrict the flow of information by banning with threat of disfellowshipping the reading of material critical of the wts.

Your 2nd point...does this scripture apply to those like my self who haven't committed any of the "sins" mentioned in the verse?

I have become a Christian since leaving the wts and have not denied Christ or the holy Bible, but since it was announced that I'm no longer a jw I'm routinely abused by the bullying tactic of ritual shunning sanctioned by the Governing Body of the wts.

Your 3rd point....have you ever heard of a metaphor Reniaa?

In the scripture you quote in luke 14:26 Jesus is saying that one should not hate his relatives in the way you appear to be saying as though

Jesus was sanctioning mistreatment of people...

Rather that following him is top priority, I'm sure you must be aware that one of Jesus qualities was his ability to care for others even sinners and the like.

Jesus says that in Luke 6:35 "to the contrary continue to love your enemie....Because God is kind to the unthankful and wicked"

Even if ex Jw's are unthankful and wicked or your natural enemy God says he will be "kind" to them.

Is that how the wts treats those who have left?

Regarding your 4th point.... well I don't really no how to answer as you don't appear to be making a clear point...Are you saying that because some spent money on Jesus and he said it was ok , that means that it's ok for the wts to take money off their members?

It's hardly the same thing Reniaa...If no one put money in the box or paid for the literature the wts would cease to exist. Hence the wts has a dependence on their members so it makes sense to try and keep them and recruit more.

As for your last point it is probably the most ridiculous use of a passage of scripture you have used....Are you saying that this man's CONVERSION to Christianity is equatious with what Jehovah's witnesses do?

So Phillip was recruiting "new members" was he? Is it not the case that JW's go around and try to bring people in to their organisation who are ALREADY CHRISTIANS ????

They say that theirs is the only true Christian faith and that all others are false...something which is aslo marker of a cult. Many such as the Mormons , the Scientologists and the like also claim to be the "one true faith" to the exclusion of all others

It saddens me Reniaa that your lame attempts do deny the blindingly obvious about your organisation ignore the true facts about this cult.

I have was in the wts for 35 years and now I'm not. I have been where you are and had the mental barrier you so clearly exhibit

H.K.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit