WHO ARE THEY TO STOP HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS!?

by XxJazzxX 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• XxJazzxX
    XxJazzxX

I find this as a way for my wife trying to avoid going to church with me on Easter.

My wife has a meeting with the Elders about her reinstatement sunday after the WT study, which is indeed true. However, the only reason why she would go to church with me on Easter is because I went with her to the Memorial. She tries to bargain her way out with this by she should go to church with me on Good Friday instead on Easter. This shocked me since I didnt have such an attitude with going to the Memorial with her.

While she agrees with the celebration itself, the only problem she has on the holiday is the DATE.....

The only reason why she doesnt like Easter is because of the DATE!? Saying things like Christ didnt ressurect on that specific date.

OK, I've repeated this often to her and she still couldnt give me a clear, valid answer, but this is one of the reasons why I would NEVER become a JW:

Prior to 1919, it was good for the JWs to celebrate holidays. It was "good spiritual food" at the proper time and it was approved by God. When 1920 hit, they stopped celebrating holidays, trying to digg into its pagan roots.

Question: If celebrating holidays was "good spiritual food" approved by Jehovah, what made them stop celebrating?

Possible conclusions: 1.They cannot say they studied more and discovered that it was pagan without leaving out that this was something Jehovah gave them the green light for.

2. If they EVER say Jehovah changed his mind in any way, shape or form, they're basically calling Him a Liar.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

My wife has a meeting with the Elders about her reinstatement sunday after the WT study,

If she goes to church with you, I doubt she will be reinstated.

I don't think JWs are allowed to visit other churches.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

They are the all powerful WBT$!!..No Birthdays!..No Christmas!..No cars without 4 doors!..No thinking for yourself!!...........If God wanted you to think for yourself,he would have given you a Brain!!..........Stop even trying to think!!..Go outside and Bark at the Dog!..That should keep you busy until the next meeting!! ........LOL!!...OUTLAW

• avishai
    avishai

I think they quote 1920 as the time they stopped holidays, but I believe it was actually in the 1930's when they finally stopped.

Here's a bethel xmas pic from '26

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/bethel-christmas3.jpg

• XxJazzxX
    XxJazzxX

Even if she goes, and doesn't tell anyone, somehow and someway the Elders will find out IF she goes to church with me on Easter.

The only reason why she wants to go with me is because I went to the Memorial with her, to prevent any future discussions on why she didnt go on a day that was important to me vs. a day that was important to her.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    WHO ARE THEY TO STOP HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS!?

They will stop anything they damn well please . They tell the members what clothes to wear, what music not to listen to, what TV not to watch..They control their lives..This is not a normal religion, it is a cult, and cults control people...That is it

• Mary
    Mary
    Question: If celebrating holidays was "good spiritual food" approved by Jehovah, what made them stop celebrating?

It was under Rutherfraud that all the holiday celebrations came to an end. Far from it being "new light", I think it was a combination of de Judge's obsession with being seen as "different" than other Christian religions. Plus, he has a miserable disposition which was probably exasperated by his daily dosage of bathtub scotch, and he didn't like to see all the Witlesses spending time celebrating holidays when they could be out preaching.

Drunken duffus.

Free Smiley FaceFree Smiley Face

• hubert
    hubert

Xxj said......"

Prior to 1919, it was good for the JWs to celebrate holidays. It was "good spiritual food" at the proper time and it was approved by God. When 1920 hit, they stopped celebrating holidays, trying to digg into its pagan roots.

Is there anything ........written in the Watchtower material....... that says God approved Holidays?

Is there anything ........written in the Watchtower material....... after 1920, that shows God changed his mind?

I need hard copy.

Hubert

• bob1999
    bob1999

"WHO ARE THEY TO STOP HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS!?"

That would be my question in light of this.

Romans 14:1-6

Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.

The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.

Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.

He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

Peace

• sacolton
    sacolton

Holidays cut into Rutherford's drinking budget.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit