Society's use of 2 John 9-11 to justify total shunning totally wrong!

by yadda yadda 2 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

yadda yadda: mind the footnote under your "Strong" definitions

NAS Verse Count
    1 Corinthians2
    2 Thessalonians1

Total3
    Greek lexicon based on Thayer's and Smith's Bible Dictionary plus others; this is keyed to the large Kittel and the "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament." These files are public
  • maryacclaim
    maryacclaim

Not to go along with what the WT says about this, but this is from Strong's online:

And in fact that is exactly what chairo means.

Strong's Greek Lexicon Search Results

Result of search for "chairo":

5463.chairokhah'-ee-ro a primary verb; to be "cheer"ful, i.e. calmly happy or well-off; impersonally, especially as salutation (on meeting or parting), be well:--farewell, be glad, God speed, greeting, hall, joy(- fully), rejoice.

• Narkissos
  • yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I have been reviewing this subject again recently and have just re-read this whole thread. Three years later, I must admit I am embarrassed reading some of my comments to Narkissos at the time, for which I apologise. I'm pleased to say that I believe I have attained a higher level of intellectual honesty that Narkissos hoped I might one day reach. A belated big thanks for Narkissos' superb and honest answers to my questions. This forum needs more people like him.

• JWB
    JWB

Without going into the actual meaning of what constitutes a greeting, I will pass on to what I believe is the WTS's main error here. It is quite clear from verse 7 of 2 John that it was a specific teaching that the 'deceivers' were bringing. That teaching was that Jesus 'had not come in the flesh'. So the most that the WTS can legitimately say is that JWs must not 'greet' someone who teaches denial of one of the fundamental beliefs of Christianity! To use verses 9-11 as some kind of doctrinal wildcard that covers any belief peculiar to JWs is certainly going beyond the things that are written in the Christian Greek Scriptures.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit