Is Memorial the same as a Toast?

by cameo-d 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

What is the difference between observing Memorial and toasting?

Isn't "toasting" the act of raising a glass in acknowledgement of agreement?

Isn't toasting forbidden in JW land?

• blondie
    blondie

They don't raise the glass, they pass it. There is no touching or clinking of the glasses.

• wobble
    wobble

Dubbies think that if you don't attend you are toast!
    see"and he also ran" 's thread about getting an invite.

Love

Wobble

• minimus
    minimus

I think that passing the glass can be similar to toasting action. Yes, it's the same.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Blondie: There is no touching or clinking of the glasses.

If that is WT criteria for a "toast", then again, you all have been misled.

In refined social circles, people do not touch or clink glasses in a toast. That is considered uncouth and bad mannered.

Clinking glasses brings to mind a vision of obese German beer drinkers singing bawdy songs and sloshing froth as they "clink" mugs.

I think that would be about the only scene in which that type of behavior is considered "appropriate".

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

So what does it mean when a toast is made but one doesn't drink? Seems like an insult to the person being toasted.

W

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Finally Free: So what does it mean when a toast is made but one doesn't drink?

In the ceremony peculiar to WT, it seems to me that this observance is more a ritual of "party loyalty".

Only the callous "elite" Blood Druids drink......the rest of you are cannon fodder.

The passing without drinking denotes (and reinforces) a class distinction.

Although you think it has something to do with respect to Jesus...it seems you are allowed to have your own ideas of what it means to you, although the ritual may mean quite something else entirely.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wonder what would happen if I were to "toast" by clanking the glasses so hard that they would end up on the floor in a million pieces.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Don't you need everyone to have a glass to be in the spirit of a toast? It seems odd that just passing a single one could construe that. And what is it dedicated to? You are not honoring Christ so much as symbolically inviting him into yourself.

• parakeet
    parakeet

cameo: Isn't toasting forbidden in JW land?

The toasting of 6 billion people at Armageddon is not only NOT forbidden, it's absolutely essential. The dubs are eagerly waiting for it to happen, any day now.

The toasting of marshmallows and bread is left up the individual dub's "Bible-trained" conscience.

cameo: In refined social circles, people do not touch or clink glasses in a toast. That is considered uncouth and bad mannered.

So THAT'S why the dubs won't allow it. To which refined social circle do you belong, cameo?

cameo: Clinking glasses brings to mind a vision of obese German beer drinkers singing bawdy songs and sloshing froth as they "clink" mugs.

My grandparents were Bavarian, so thanks for the compliment about their table manners.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit