Privacy Rights of Ex-JWs

by Scott77 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Scott77
    Scott77

Lady Lee, when you state that, " It is interesting that in the 15 years after I was DFed the elders knew exactly where I lived at all times", it raises new profound question about how the WTS's ability to track people over their lifespan. Mark you, 15yrs is not a short time. I look forward to hear from someone who used to work at WTS shed light about this secretive practices.

• jgnat
    jgnat

"I believe individual rights to privacy should be respected but it hurts to see that the WTS disregards this."

I believe that the Watchtower society can be held to account to respect privacy laws. As has already been said, there are laws against stalking and harrassment. Similarly, many jurisdictions have privacy laws. The UK is one of those countries. So is Canada.

If this person complains to their privacy commissioner or similar body, the Watchtower society may be directed to change their procedures, pay a fine, or otherwise be directed to come in to line with privacy laws. At the very least, the society would be embarrassed.

That being said, I don't think the average elder goes out of his way to track down new or fading congregants fresh in his territory. It's usually family that finks on them.

• DJK
    DJK

I almost commented by saying, "I don't believe the JWs would spend any time tracking those who have left a KH."

Then I started to remember all of those talks about those who have gone astray, and lost sheep. So it must be possible for a few over zealous individuals to resort to practices we would consider stalking.

I was never stalked, possibly because I never baptised. If they did, I guess I would just keep reminding them, "I'm not interested".

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Some of yall make it sound like the WTBTS has an elite group of people who do all sorts of spy and espionage-type work.

They don't.

For the most part - they're a loosely-formed group of bungling Gomer Pyle's.

What they do use - is YOU - to track you.

I.E. You may tell your friend - who is still a JW - who feels obligated to pass the info of your new location on to someone - who passes it on - and so on. It may even be family that rats on you.

It ain't rocket science.

Regards,

Jim TX

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I agree with Jim in most cases a family member does not want to give up on you and will pass on your personal information to the local Elders "so they can check on you " .

I know because I was guilty of doing this to my own dear brother when I was an active witness . In my simple witness brain I imagined him being lost and that a nice visit from local brothers would bolster his spirituality enough that he would be right back to the hall .

One year a visiting speaker to our hall was talking to me and mentioned this really nice man he worked with had relatives in the area . This brother lived a couple of hours south of us . When he told me his workmates name I was surprised to learn that it was my Brother . The Speaker went on and on about how nice he was and what good conversations they had .He said ,"Your family really should witness to him I think he would be receptive ."

Then I told him my brother was DA'd years ago so we don't discuss spiritual things with him . He was thunderstruck . Sadly when he returned to work he confronted my brother on his DA status and then told him he could no longer talk to him .......:( ( All because of my big mouth )

Since my fade I have apologized to my brother I had forgot about this incident until he brought it up . He wondered how he had been exposed and who in the world had narced on him to his friend .

The witness world is very closed in and compact society full of people that love to do nothing but gossip and ponder over how they might save you from your obvious horrible decision to leave God's flock .

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Jim

I agree. It isn't organized. Although with them trying to ferret out those who have just left there might be a bit more effort at hunting them down by some elders. After all these JWs do have lives and the WTS keeps them busy.

As stated above sometimes it is a matter of a family member letting the elders know where a person is.

The stalking and spying bit, I think that only happens when there is some reason to catch a person doing something the WTS forbids

• Scott77
    Scott77

wow, what a beautful discussion. And many thanks to you all includind Lady Lee. I wish Raymond Franz was around on this site to provide some feedbacks about this deplorable practices. I am going to get his book soon. I think some one later will come forward to share his or her story directly from the WTS. I think in their 'zeal' to clean out the so called sinning one, or 'clean' the the congregation, the WTS over the decades, might have perfected a top secret system of episonage on those considere questionable.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

troubled mind

I hope your brother has forgiven you, You reminded me of something I did while I was a JW

One day my mother confessed to me that she was having an affair. She was married to an unbeliever. The problems in the marriage resulted in lettle sexual activity - the sole reason she chose to marry.

Anyway she confessed to me. I tolds my elder husband and we sat down with her and told her if she didn't go to the elders we would be forced to.

She said she would tell them which resulted in her being privately reproved.

Although I would not have wanted to snitch I knew that once my husband knew he would most definitely take a hard line on this and would be in contact with the elders in her cong.

what control the WTS has over its people

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit