Congregation Bible Study Comments - Week Commencing 6 April 2009

by LUKEWARM 16 Replies latest jw friends

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

*** lv chap. 3, Love Those Whom God Loves ***

WHEN DIFFICULTIES ARISE

Q16, 17. If a fellow worshipper hurts us in some way, why should we not withdraw from the congregation?16 Since there is a wide variety of personalities and backgrounds in the congregation, problems may arise from time to time. A fellow believer might say or do something that hurts our feelings. (Proverbs 12:18) Sometimes difficulties are fuelled by personality clashes, misunderstandings, or differences of opinion. Will we stumble over such challenges and keep away from the congregation? Not if we have genuine love for Jehovah and for those whom he loves.

Where does the Bible say that "genuine love for Jehovah" is evident by one not keeping away from the JW version of the 21century congregation and their 2 weekly meetings + 8 hours a month in 'service'?17 As our Creator and Life-Sustainer, Jehovah deserves our love and complete devotion. (Revelation 4:11) In addition, the congregation that he is pleased to use deserves our loyal support. (Hebrews 13:17) So if a fellow worshipper hurts us or disappoints us in some way, we will not withdraw from the congregation as a means of protest. How could we? Jehovah is not the one who offended us. Our love for Jehovah could never allow us to turn our back on him and his people!-Psalm 119:165.

WTS again assuming to know Gods thoughts with this one: "...the congregation that he is pleased to use deserves our loyal support."Was Paul in Hebrews really talking about the JW congregation with its elders appointed by a centralised Governing Body in Brooklyn?How can it possibly be that withdrawing from their congregation is turning our back on God himself?Are "his people" only JW's? Q18. (a) What can we do to promote peace in the congregation? (b) Choosing to forgive when there is a sound basis for doing so brings what blessings?18 Love for fellow worshippers moves us to promote peace in the congregation. Jehovah does not expect perfection from those he loves, and neither should we. Love enables us to overlook minor trespasses, remembering that we are all imperfect and make mistakes. (Proverbs 17:9; 1 Peter 4:8) Love helps us to continue "forgiving one another freely." (Colossians 3:13) It is not always easy to apply this counsel. If we allow negative emotions to get the better of us, we may be inclined to hold on to resentment, perhaps feeling that our anger is somehow punishing the offender. In reality, though, holding on to resentment is harmful to us. Choosing to forgive when there is a sound basis for doing so brings rich blessings. (Luke 17:3, 4) It gives us peace of mind and heart, preserves peace in the congregation and, above all, safeguards our relationship with Jehovah.-Matthew 6:14, 15; Romans 14:19.

Why does the WTS always talk about "Love for fellow worshippers"?

Didn't Jesus say:
    43 "YOU heard that it was said, 'You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 However, I say to YOU: Continue to love YOUR enemies and to pray for those persecuting YOU; 45 that YOU may prove yourselves sons of YOUR Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous. 46 For if YOU love those loving YOU, what reward do YOU have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing? 47 And if YOU greet YOUR brothers only, what extraordinary thing are YOU doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing? 48 YOU must accordingly be perfect, as YOUR heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:43-48)

WHEN TO WITHDRAW FELLOWSHIP

Q19. What situations may arise that make it necessary for us to withdraw our fellowship from someone?19 At times, we are called upon to withdraw our fellowship from one who has been a member of the congregation. This situation arises when an individual who unrepentantly violates God's law is disfellowshipped or when one rejects the faith by teaching false doctrine or by disassociating himself from the congregation. God's Word plainly tells us to "quit mixing in company" with such ones. (1 Corinthians 5:11-13;) It may be a real challenge to avoid someone who had perhaps been a friend or who is related to us. Will we take a firm stand, thereby showing that we put loyalty to Jehovah and his righteous laws above all else? Remember that Jehovah places a high value on loyalty and obedience.

Who calls upon us to withdraw fellowship, on what basis is someone judged "unrepentant" and where is the Biblical precedent for a CLOSED DOOR judicial committee decision?

R
    ay Franz in his book "In search of Christian Freedom" p.324 says:

In praising the provision in the US constitution for an accused person to "enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial...to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him" the Awake! Magazine of January 22, 1981 (page 17), went on to demonstrate that Justice in the Nation of Israel employed these same principles, stating
    *** g81 1/22 p. 17 Searching Out Legal Roots ***
    Since the local court was situated at the city gates, there was no question about the trial being public
    ! (Deut. 16:18-20) No doubt the public trials helped influence the judges toward carefulness and justice, qualities that sometimes vanish in secret star-chamber hearings. What about witnesses? Witnesses in Bible times were required to testify publicly. For this reason they were warned not to be influenced in their testimony by the pressure of public opinion "so as to turn aside with the crowd in order to pervert justice."
    Although, when convenient, the Watch Tower organization frequently goes back to the Mosaic Law and law procedures for support for its policies, it acts exactly contrary to the principles here presented. Though it praises the influence toward "carefulness and justice" that public hearings produce, the reality is that all Witness "judicial committee" hearings are, by organizational policy, held precisely in the form of "secret-star chamber hearings," with the result that the committee is, in effect answerable only to itself. The validity of its announced decisions must be accepted purely on faith by the congregation.So adherence to WTS's "righteous laws" equate to "loyalty and obedience" to God!The WT are masters at "twisting" scriptures to suit their agendaApostle Paul was NOT talking about persons claiming to be Christians who have AT SOME TIME been guilty of of an act or acts of immorality, greed, drunkenness or similar wrongdoing, rather persons claiming to be Christians who ARE immoral, who ARE greedy, who ARE drunkards etc. Getting drunk on one occasion does not make one "a drunkard" and in the same way an act of immorality does not automatically make one "a fornicator" or "immoral person". He is taliking about a continuing course of conduct or a characteristic of a person."But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. 12 For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do YOU not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? "Remove the wicked [man] from among yourselves." (1 Corinthians 5:11-13)
    So if somebody disagrees with 607, blood policy, 144,000 etc are they rejecting "the faith by teaching false doctrine" and are they WICKED? Surely they cannot be saying so as the context is referring to the ANTICHRIST not someone not believing some unique teaching taught by WTS as "present truth".

"Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to YOU and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him. 11 For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works." (2 John 9-11).Q20, 21. (a) Why is the disfellowshipping arrangement a loving one? (b) Why is it vital that we choose our associates wisely?20 The disfellowshipping arrangement is really a loving provision from Jehovah. How so? Expelling an unrepentant sinner shows love for Jehovah's holy name and all that it stands for. (1 Peter 1:15, 16) Disfellowshipping keeps the congregation safe. Faithful members are protected from the unwholesome influence of willful sinners and can go about their worship knowing that the congregation is a safe haven from this wicked world. (1 Corinthians 5:7; Hebrews 12:15, 16) The strong discipline shows love for the wrongdoer. It may be just the jolt he needs to come to his senses and take the steps necessary to return to Jehovah.-Hebrews 12:11.

WT spin doctoring at its best: "The disfellowshipping arrangement is really a loving provision from Jehovah"!Why are members denied any right to exercise their own intelligence and judgement as to whether a person is a "unwholesome influence"? Why must they wait for some religious authority to lift the "disfellowshiped" label?Can you imaging the father of the prodigal son, upon seeing his wayward son approaching the home, rather than running out and embracing him as he did, insting that the son first be screened by a committee of three before expressing parental interest and affection?This sentence makes me ill and reeks of control of thought and action "The strong discipline shows love for the wrongdoer. It may be just the jolt he needs to come to his senses and take the steps necessary to return to Jehovah21 We cannot escape the fact that our close associates can have a powerful, molding effect on us. It is vital, then, that we choose our associates wisely. By making Jehovah's friends our friends, by loving those whom God loves, we will surround ourselves with the best possible associates. What we absorb from them will help us to live up to our determination to please Jehovah.

APPENDIX - HOW TO TREAT A DISFELLOWSHIPPED PERSON

Few things can hurt us more deeply than the pain we suffer when a relative or a close friend is expelled from the congregation for unrepentant sin. How we respond to the Bible's direction on this matter can reveal the depth of our love for God and of our loyalty to his arrangement. Consider some questions that arise on this subject.

[Footnote] Bible principles on this subject apply equally to those who disassociate themselves from the congregation.

How should we treat a disfellowshipped person? The Bible says: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man." (1 Corinthians 5:11) Regarding everyone that "does not remain in the teaching of the Christ," we read: "Never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works." (2 John 9-11) We do not have spiritual or social fellowship with disfellowshipped ones. The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, page 25, stated: "A simple 'Hello' to someone can be the first step that develops into a conversation and maybe even a friendship. Would we want to take that first step with a disfellowshiped person?"

Is strict avoidance really necessary? Yes, for several reasons. First, it is a matter of loyalty to God and his Word. We obey Jehovah not only when it is convenient but also when doing so presents real challenges. Love for God moves us to obey all his commandments, recognizing that he is just and loving and that his laws promote the greatest good. (Isaiah 48:17; 1 John 5:3) Second, withdrawing from an unrepentant wrongdoer protects us and the rest of the congregation from spiritual and moral contamination and upholds the congregation's good name. (1 Corinthians 5:6, 7) Third, our firm stand for Bible principles may even benefit the disfellowshipped one. By supporting the decision of the judicial committee, we may touch the heart of a wrongdoer who thus far has failed to respond to the efforts of the elders to assist him. Losing precious fellowship with loved ones may help him to come "to his senses," see the seriousness of his wrong, and take steps to return to Jehovah.-Luke 15:17.

What if a relative is disfellowshipped? In such a case, the close bond between family members can pose a real test of loyalty. How should we treat a disfellowshipped relative? We cannot here cover every situation that may arise, but let us focus on two basic ones.

In some instances, the disfellowshipped family member may still be living in the same home as part of the immediate household. Since his being disfellowshipped does not sever the family ties, normal day-to-day family activities and dealings may continue. Yet, by his course, the individual has chosen to break the spiritual bond between him and his believing family. So loyal family members can no longer have spiritual fellowship with him. For example, if the disfellowshipped one is present, he would not participate when the family gets together to study the Bible. However, if the disfellowshipped one is a minor child, the parents are still responsible to instruct and discipline him. Hence, loving parents may arrange to conduct a Bible study with the child.-Proverbs 6:20-22; 29:17.

[Footnote] For more information about disfellowshipped minor children living in the home, see The Watchtower of October 1, 2001, pages 16-17, and November 15, 1988, page 20.

In other cases, the disfellowshipped relative may be living outside the immediate family circle and home. Although there might be a need for limited contact on some rare occasion to care for a necessary family matter, any such contact should be kept to a minimum. Loyal Christian family members do not look for excuses to have dealings with a disfellowshipped relative not living at home. Rather, loyalty to Jehovah and his organization moves them to uphold the Scriptural arrangement of disfellowshipping. Their loyal course has the best interests of the wrongdoer at heart and may help him to benefit from the discipline received.-Hebrews 12:11.

[Footnote] For more information about how to treat disfellowshipped relatives, see the Scriptural counsel discussed in The Watchtower of April 15, 1988, pages 26-31, and September 15, 1981, pages 26-31.

Lukewarm

• Scully
    Scully

Interesting.

I guess that's why I've seen some people disappear from my Facebook friends list recently.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I guess there is nothing new under the sun, so glad I am not there to endure it. What a great lesson on embracing every back stabbing a-hole and shunning your relatives.

• Newborn
    Newborn

I feel sick reading it

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What happens when it is Jehovah that offends me, with a willful and deliberate act intended to exploit me and prevent me from having the sort of experiences that make life worth living? And the witlesses aid and abet this process? I suppose that is still not a "good enough" excuse to leave the Witlesses.

Also, why would anyone need such detailed instructions on who to avoid and how to treat such ones? The Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger is at the top of my list of those I shun--because they come up with this crap and attempt to make everything I do something they tell me to. And I avoid those in the congregation that want to exploit Jehovah's keeping me celibate for their own advancement--as well as those who only want to see me back to being one of Jehovah's Witlesses.

I will not, however, avoid someone just because the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger tells me to.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Absolutely disgusting filthy tripe...thanks for that trip down memory lane - NOT!

It occurred to me that the timing in the drones considering this 'material' is perfect as it is the same week that they will inevitably be coming into contact with all the diseased, amoral/immoral ex/Df'd/DA'd/fading/submarine Witnesses that will compulsorily be attending the annual census taking aka Memorial this week. Another dose of FEAR and CONTROL so that nobody gets too friendly with those who do show up, for fear they be contaminated by those no longer in the fold...

THIS RELIGION IS SICK SICK SICK!

• yesidid
    yesidid

Thank you Lukewarm.

It's good to know the exact brainwashing our families will be subjected to this week.

Thanks again.

yesidid

• freethinker2009
    freethinker2009

"In other cases, the disfellowshipped relative may be living outside the immediate family circle and home. Although there might be a need for limited contact on some rare occasion to care for a necessary family matter, any such contact should be kept to a minimum. Loyal Christian family members do not look for excuses to have dealings with a disfellowshipped relative not living at home. Rather, loyalty to Jehovah and his organization moves them to uphold the Scriptural arrangement of disfellowshipping. Their loyal course has the best interests of the wrongdoer at heart and may help him to benefit from the discipline received."

Hello All,

First of all thank you LUKEWARM for doing this much appreciated.

I dont usually post or comment here, i will write my story one day and look forward to getting to know you all at some point.

I just felt the need to comment on the above verse as this will be me in a couple of weeks, reading this just makes me errupt in anger, the controlling tone, mixing guilt and "loyalty" to Jehovah with their mind control is appauling, i have actually thought of not DA'ing myself because I can't bear to loose my family, but on the other side of the coin I feel that I need to because i don't want to be associated in anyway shape or form with an organization that would use tactics like this to control their members. The fact that this book is called "Keep yourself in Gods Love" reeks of presumptious pompus pride that can only be shown by self righteous unfeeling men who feel they can tell you and me how to keep the love of God. Who are they to tell me anything! How dare they take my family away from me! I have been homeless 3 times with my family, we have endured through a drug addicted family member stealing from us multiple times, we have gone hungry and stuck together! twice we have had money stolen from us by so called "Brother and Sisters" my mother has had support from me and my sibling when my father commited adultry, we have been together for 25 years through thick and thin! I have not even told you half the things! What takes that away from me? What could take the love and support of my family who has been through so much? The verse above from a mind controlling self surving CULT who only want to hold its members and drag more in. If someone decideds its not for them then they are labelled apostate and cast out like rubbish! I have seen it happen, I have even shunned people, I am ashamed that I have done it! Nothing can prepare you for something like this.

Thanks for reading

FT09

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Well said FT09 and welcome to the board!

Was sad to read your experience - you have been through a lot and I will look forward to reading your story one day.

The WTS are masters at twisting scriptures and "lording it over" peoples lives.

Hang in there!

Lukewarm

• marcopolo
    marcopolo

very interesting this week's study book Cap 4.

the authority of the WTS is as that of the manages arms world to respect the hierarchies. .. pfff not to make evil..... I don't think so... if the congregation is as a family.. because children and wife can expose your ideas, instead in the congregation non possible ? does someone know, has Jesus entrusted the GB of authority with which event?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit